May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Thaine, Ian Forrester), 316 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,687
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem with all clay target shooters is that they get so use to using only one style of gun that they become very rigid in what they can shoot well. They like heavy, high comb guns, with wide fore ends and such great barrel weight that they swing like a 4X4. This goes for Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays shooters alike. They see the best shots using 9-10 pound guns and use the same thing.

As a reformed clay shooter I now can shoot equally poor scores with O/U, SXS, Pumps and Autos. My bolt action efforts are worse because I can not work the bolt with a bad shoulder and only rarely break doubles with on shell. One trigger or two does not matter. Splinter or beavertail does not matter. Straight, prince of wales or full pistol grip does not matter. To me it is like blonds, redheads and brunets. Men may have a preference but only real old men turn down a free shot at or with one of the others. You are not that old are you? Load two shells and have fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A little humility never hurts--especially going in. Wouldn't do to goose egg a couple of stations and then launch into that old refrain "I guess I'm just a 6 shooter today!" like you hope no one noticed. As for skeet, I've reached that plateau of mediocrity where I can break 21 in any condition short of a hurricane or nuclear blast with anything that will load a second round while the targets are still flying (Out-of-bounds stakes don't worry me!).

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am about the same way, rabbit. A 21 or 22 at skeet and I feel I am doing pretty good for the day. But, KY Jon, a 9 or 10 pound gun for clays? I don't see many clays shooters shooting 9 or 10 pound guns for clays. A guy I know just bought a 10 gauge Zabala SXS and he says it weighs just under 12 pounds. So a 9 or 10 pound gun would have to be pretty heavy. The better skeet shots at my club shoot .410s, 28s or 20 gauges most of the time. I don't think my Ljutic trap gun would weigh 9 pounds. But then again, as I said before, most of the guys in this area dislike the splinter forends about as much as I do. Splinters might be alright for the bird hunting crowd, but for clays, most people I know would never buy a gun with a splinter forend for clays. And when I go to the bigger shows in this part of the country, like Louisville where they have about 4,000 tables, the guns with the splinter forends pretty much get passed over if the same model comes with a BTFE. But, to each his own I guess.

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You shoot a Ljutic. That explains it all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
The problem with all clay target shooters is that they get so use to using only one style of gun that they become very rigid in what they can shoot well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
With a rifle, trap gunor clay pigeon gun which is aimed rather than pointed the trigger hand has much more control of the aiming function - hence chunky pistol grips.

Ok, I'm late to this thread, but with all due respect the above quote is from somebody who has absolutely no knowledge of clay target shooting. This is drivel, as is the perceived advantage of burning your hand on a set of hot barrels.

Tell me you like the aesthetics of a splinter...ok. Tell me you like the tradition of a splinter....ok. But please don't try to sell the idea that they shoot better. If they did, the guys who shoot targets and flyers for money would be using them...and they are not.

Cheers all.

Last edited by Baron23; 08/03/09 06:14 PM.

Cheers

Stephen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GJZ
You shoot a Ljutic. That explains it all.
Yes, so what do you shoot trap with?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right, Baron 23. And like I said earlier, your handguns have a grip to hold onto instead of the metal. In fact, many people replace the grip on one to have even better control of the gun. You don't hold a rifle by the barrel(s). So, why would you prefer to hold the barrel(s) on a shotgun? Your fingers can go over the top too far on a quick shot and if you have your hand open you can possibly cover the target or lose control of the gun because you aren't gripping it. Plus they look skimpy and ugly. At least to me. Nuff said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, I picture you as one of those guys who'd sooner have hold of Hillary's ankle than something more slim and trim. In fact, you probably think they LOOK slim and trim!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, if he likes Clydesdales he surely lusts for Hillary's ankles,

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.