March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting about the barrel wetting theory when soft soldering chromium steel as in M21 barrels.... now I'm wondering if the Fox "Chromox" barrels (chromium/vanadium steel) have an increased tendency to pop ribs as compared with the earlier Fox carbon steel tubes? Has anyone seen more popped ribs with later Fox guns, as compared with earlier ones? Let's say we use ~1918 as the break point between barrel steels on 12 gauge Foxes?

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To answer the question, I'd pass. Finding a set of decent barrels would likely put you in the >$1k range and there are shooters out there for that money. 20 ga ejector barrels would not be an easy find, then they would need fitted. For Ted, let's say there are over 200K Sterlingworths built. With all of the different ways for a gun to be damaged, wouldn't the law of averages suggest failures? Also, when people start seeing $2-4K Sterlingworths listed, it makes them think that any old shooter will bring the high dollars. Then all of a sudden a gun with blown barrels must be worth something... out of the closets and attics they come.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RR,
That could be, but, the pictures I've seen of late are "freshly" blown guns, usually, with a description of how they did it. One unlucky gun had been re-case colored, not by the torch, but a legitamate bone/charcoal outfit. I wish Dr. Gaddy were here to comment.

Silvers,
The comparison between Fox "Chromox" barrels and Winchester "Proof Steel" tubes is flawed by the fact that Winchester used chrome moly steel, not chrome vanadium. "More Difficult" to wet in a soldering operation doesn't mean "Impossible to wet" either, as there are many that haven't had a problem. A popped rib is an ugly problem to have, however.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been fooling around with Foxes for a long time and have bought several 16 and 20 ga. guns with blown barrels.Some were very thin where they blew, suggesting maybe that they were filed too thin! Extractor Fox barrels can be converted to ejector easily. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had over 25 Ansley H. Fox doubles in the last 43 years, and the only loose rib was on a 1918-vintage B-Grade with Krupp barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, you need to run away from that "deal".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've taken to shooting Gamebores Black powder shells in my decent shooter grade AH Fox guns. I would be hard pressed to be in the market for anything more than shooter grade vintage All- Americans. Cracked frames, cracked wood and blowin' barrels - just think how freaked-out the man with the high priced high grades must feel?
Back in the cabinet you go, ol'boy!
Will chat about your SN and percent of case color - your days in the field are done, ol' sod!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 12/19/06 08:16 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As time passes, more and more of these old classics are being refurbished and refinished. It is becoming common practice to clean-up bores and/or replace choke by honing bores. That coupled with work on exterior of barrels to prep for re-blue can lead to very thin barrels made of weaker steels that are candidates for failure. Many can not recognize a refinished gun or do not have tools to measure barrel thickness.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.