May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (GETTEMANS, LGF, 1 invisible), 970 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,835
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Question about 16/20 Gauge Mates... are premium shells a really a must use - AA's or STS's?
Craig

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the "grind"...they raise up and down with the extractors the ground spots allows you to easily remove the spent hull without taking the gauge mates out of the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 10 to 12 gold gauge-mates and they work very well with any type of shell even though the directions suggest using AA or STS. I have not had a Federal top gun or Rem Gun Club stick.

I want to purchase a 16 to 20 converter. Do I understand from your picture that the silver gauge-mate rim rides on the extractor pulling it up?

The ground section allows you to grab the hull with your fingernail and pull it out?

Does it make any difference where you grind the silver gaugemate?

Any problem with the silver gauge-mates with promo type shells?

So many guns, so little time!
Birdawg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For some reason I had thought the grind would be where the extractor/ejector would be, but it looks like you are just making a space to pluck the hulls out
Thanks for posting the photo Joe.

BD
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: builder
I have 10 to 12 gold gauge-mates and they work very well with any type of shell even though the directions suggest using AA or STS. I have not had a Federal top gun or Rem Gun Club stick.

I want to purchase a 16 to 20 converter. Do I understand from your picture that the silver gauge-mate rim rides on the extractor pulling it up?

The ground section allows you to grab the hull with your fingernail and pull it out?

Does it make any difference where you grind the silver gaugemate?

Any problem with the silver gauge-mates with promo type shells?

The silvers are probably stronger than the golds because of no split and should even help vintage guns with chamber pressure. I have fired Rem Express 20ga shells in my 12 with no problem. I haven't ground mine yet but probably will, should be able to do it in any spot. However, you may get a little blow-by gas in that spot.

Last edited by Patriot USA; 08/09/09 09:13 PM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just went and put a 3" 20ga turkey load in my 12 to 20 silver and had atleast a 1/8" to spare. I wouldn't be afraid to fire it but might have a hard time getting the empty out. I think the only reason they tell you to use target loads is they will drop right out of the sleeve. The time I fired the Rem Ex. 20, it also just dropped out of the sleeve ok probably because the silver has no slit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a pair of "Lil Skeeters" 10-12. I use them all the time with 12 bore target loads, homegrown, in my Lefever 10. They are a little slow in that that they have to removed and the 12 cases poked out, but I aint in much of a hurry anymore. I did shoot a couple of 3" Hevishot loads through a Zabala 10 I had for a short time. Had to beat the emptys out with a hammer and socket over a vise. That was too slow, even for me...

Sidelock
Sidelock

The slits in the gauge mates are only in the gauges that are "close in size". In the picture I posted the one in the middle is a 12ga. to 20ga. and they will fall out of the gun if you aren't careful.

The slit 10ga. to 12ga. works better because they can be sprung to fit the chamber a little tighter. I shoot my 10ga. about every week...truthfully I can't even tell they are in the gun.

With the exception of dove...When I hunt with my 10 I shoot 10ga. ammo.

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do not fire "hard" shot loads of sub gauges. The slits in the wad petals will open to the point you will be risking scratching or worse of bores. Some wads have overlapping petals, should be good with those but you really need to know what your sending down the tubes.

Please don't think that shooting sub gauges is doing your gun any favors other than from a recoil point. It can help a LOT in other ways....you do need to think it through for each gun and load though.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks 775. That's what I was wondering, if the petals would open. I thought I saw shot cups for steel that had no slits on Ballistic Products site for reloading, but I didn't know if any loaded shells had them like from Win. or Rem. etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.