May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (claydog, Lloyd3, LeFusil, Bob Jurewicz, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,762
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

pin locations are not a guarantee of the action type. To know for sure if this ia a Beesley action one would have to see the action flats

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

My bet is it is a completely legit Purdey action, very early one. I have pic of Purdey built in 1881 with same lockplate shape, same pin placement, same carved leaf motifs on the 'detonating' and virtually the same shape to detonating. I'd bet the same man engraved motifs. It is an underlever gun, however, and safety shape is different. Note the lettering, style of fine scroll, even the 'arrow'on the tumbler axle are consistent with Purdey's.

Remember this design was in its infancy in early 1880s and various shapes to fences, lockplates et al were in transitional state.

Don't know about the barrels, though.

Quick Edit: I suspect this gun does not have interceptors -- see Greener's p. 175 (ninth edition) and you will see similar pin placement with his illustration.

Last edited by Vic Venters; 08/11/09 12:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A number of early Purdey hammerless and a larger number of hammer guns which originally had damascus barrels were re-barreled at a later date by Purdeys with Whitworth steel barrels. This could be one.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Vic - thanks for chiming in. Do you think it's a Beesley or a Gibbs & Pitt? And check out the pin in the forend. That looks like an axis for kickers/ejectors to me. The listing says extractors, so who knows.

Terry - the odd thing about these bbls is the address on the rib - 314 1/2. If this is a re-bbl, they either used the old rib and added the Whitworth mention, or they used the old address on a newer rib. Either way, it's odd.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I certainly don't think it's a Gibbs & Pitt action. I perhaps confused the issue by saying that some of their earlies hammerless guns were made on this type of action.

Why on earth put an address on the top rib from which they had finished trading when this action was obviously made if it was re-barrelled? I would want to know a lot more before I was tempted to part with any money. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD:

I think Beesley action sans interceptors.

If you can get serial that would help (or description).

The pin in forend iron made me go "hmmm" too.

Barrels: gosh knows. Maybe recycled rib?

Too bad about the Miller. As good as a trigger as it is, shame to see an early Beesley (if that is the case) so altered. I tend to think guns like that belong in collections or museums.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Vic Venters
My bet is it is a completely legit Purdey action, very early one. I have pic of Purdey built in 1881 with same lockplate shape, same pin placement, same carved leaf motifs on the 'detonating' and virtually the same shape to detonating. I'd bet the same man engraved motifs. It is an underlever gun, however, and safety shape is different. Note the lettering, style of fine scroll, even the 'arrow'on the tumbler axle are consistent with Purdey's.

Remember this design was in its infancy in early 1880s and various shapes to fences, lockplates et al were in transitional state.

Don't know about the barrels, though.

Quick Edit: I suspect this gun does not have interceptors -- see Greener's p. 175 (ninth edition) and you will see similar pin placement with his illustration.

Here's a scan of Greener, page 175:

And here's an image of a Beesley action with the interceptor:

I believe the gun at issue does have interceptors.

Curl

Last edited by CptCurl; 08/11/09 05:33 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Check out the pins in the locks on this other Purdey, :

http://www.gunsamerica.com/966645090/Guns/Shotguns/Purdy-Shotguns/PURDEY_BEST_SXS_16_GAUGE.htm

This one is on a Beesley.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Correct. It has the same five-pin configuration as the gun at issue, but not the straight edge locks.

Here's the gun at issue:

Here's the gun you just mentioned from Steve Barnett:

Here's the later seven-pin gun (the "comparison" gun from the first post):

Curl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah - right. But I think the shape of the locks is a style/transitional thing. I would be a lot of money that Purdey #1 is the earliest of the three. It's whole style is a lot different.

The first Purdey appears to have been made on the same generation Beesley action as #2. #3 is a much later gun with a more evolved version of the Beesley patent.

BTW: nice engraving on #3.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 08/13/09 09:36 AM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.