March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have had a couple opportunities to shoot 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads extensively recently and find they are a real treat to shoot and very deadly on targets. During a trip to England last July, I shot Hull CompX 21 gram (3/4oz) loads at the high towers at Bisley and West London shooting grounds. The light loads are very soft on recoil, but still break targets nicely on the high towers, even up to 200 feet.

This weekend, I shot a case of RST's 3/4 oz Falcon 12 gauges at the Hidden Hollow - Rock Mountain shoots in Pennsylvania. Even in my 6.5 pound Arthur Turner sidelock, the recoil was the softest I've felt (or not felt), but still broke targets nicely, even at Hidden Hollow's long "mad jack' station and Rock Mountain's high cliff station.

I was really pleased with the soft recoil and less barrell flip, and still felt confident on all targets. Count me as a fan the little 3/4 oz loads.

For those who like less recoil, I think shooting a good 3/4 oz load in a light 12 gauge is a nice alternative to shooting smaller bores and probably has even less felt recoil.

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

Sidelock
Sidelock

I started loading 3/4 oz. 12 gauge shells when I was teaching 4-H shooters, mostly girls in their early teens. Many of them were recoil sensitive and the heavier 12-gauge gun with light loads worked better than a light 20 with standard loads. 28 gauge was not an option at that time.

The 3/4 oz. loads broke targets so well I started shooting them myself and still enjoy them for sporting clays. It sure stretches a bag of shot as well as making my old body feel better.

DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Have you used them hunting? I assume 3/4 oz in a 12 gauge could do anything 3/4 oz in a 28 gauge could do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DGM
Have you used them hunting? I assume 3/4 oz in a 12 gauge could do anything 3/4 oz in a 28 gauge could do.

...and better. They should pattern a lot better having a shorter shot column which in
turn produces less damaged shot.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's all I have loaded and shot for over 40 years...3/4 and 7/8 oz...(Unique powder)...kills the same -(live or clay)- in every instance as compared to what the other guys were using.....with much better patterns and easy on the old doubles of any make.....

Unless you're the sky scraping type....then you need an anti-aircraft gun anyway.....

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys that reload - mind giving your load data ? I have an adj. charge bar and have gotten down between 3/4 and 7/8 with a good crimp without any filler or 20ga wad in the plastic wad. But at 3/4oz I have trouble with the crimp. Thanks for any help. Paul

DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another thing I noticed was 125 of the 3/4 oz loads in my cartridge bag was noticeably lighter to carry around than a bag of 1 oz loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bladesmith....I use the Remington Nitro Gold cases only, which 8 star quite easy with most loads....now using Western Orange wads with one cheerio as filler before the shot....crimps quite nice.....not overly firm...just right IMO....hope this helps...

Best,

Doug

DGM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The RST's work in 2.5" shotguns, making a nice light load for old Vintage doubles. I shot their 7/8 and 1 oz loads at the shoot as well. While all were mild and did the job well, the 3/4 was really light, but still hit just as hard. I really liked it. Shooting a case over a couple days was a real pleasure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to shoot 1 oz. loads at trap. At the time, I was practicing/shooting with All American Jimmy Walker. I mentioned to him one day that I was shooting 1 oz. loads and he remarked that if you shoot 1 oz. loads, you are beat before you even start. He was right. It wasn't long before I was shooting in the local calcuttas against guys like him and Pat Neff, who has won the Grand and several events there over the years, and was getting my butt kicked. So, shooting less than a 1 1/8 oz. load is OK for piddling around, but when the money is on the line, you had better get some shoot in those loads. I use a 1 oz. load for shooting skeet, now, but when it gets time to be serious, my loads are 1 1/8 oz.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.