April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, Ted Schefelbein), 350 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Clapper Zapper but I have the advantage of living in the right place to find them. I have had the Turner a few years. If interested I will post pictures of some more from my gun cabinet from time to time.

Please don't malign the poor old roach http://www.fishezine.co.uk/article/roach I can't say that I have ever met a fish I didn't like. I work in fisheries management now although mainly with trout and grayling.

I have some rather nice small bore hammer guns that I will post on. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

What I think to be an interesting side to Thomas Turner. Several years ago I acquired a small collection of his wares. These included: a hammer double rifle in .577 caliber, an 8 bore single hammer sporting gun with a 40 inch barrel, an Enfield style percussion musket in .577 caliber, a 12 bore hammer sporting gun (also with a Jones underlever) and a camp (picnic) chest with knives forks plates & thermos in a leather case. All had his name and trademark. All were purported to come from the North Carolina Estate of R.J. Reynolds, the tobacco tycoon, and were said to have been ordered from Turner for his African Safari in the late 19th Century. The camp chest has the initials "R.J.R." in gold on the lid. I am still looking for written documentation about the safari. The musket was said to have been ordered for his gun bearer as the natives were only allowed to own muzzle loading weapons.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Turners are still in business George. Maybe they can shed some light on your interesting find. They were most helpful regarding my gun but sadly did not have the records. http://www.thomasturnergunmaker.co.uk/about-us/index.htm Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

not wishing to be pedantic Mike, but those barrels are Laminated Steel Now quit buying guns and go find the English Damascus Rosetta Stone

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/19/09 03:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own a fairly nice Thomas Turner, although it's marked Birmingham rather than Reading. A well done damascus 12 gauge BLE with interesting engraving pattern and quite lovely wood. According to the late Alfred Gallifent, who knew at least one member of the current generation of Turners, the records for the gun manufacturing were destroyed in a bombing during WWII.

lagopus Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew, I wish I could; find the Rosetta Stone that is. I have some of my best men on the job.

R40X, there were a number of Thomas Turners about; probably related family connections. There were two in Birmingham and one in Halifax, Yorkshire. The Reading Turners had premises in Basingstoke, Newbury and Hungerford as well as Reading. Lagopus.....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.