May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Jimmy W, AZMike, Southern Sport), 780 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,065
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

That would be why mine has a plain barrel. Hot item in Buckeyeland? Not around here.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike the Bear--well stated!! I have a Cutts on a first year M-37S--it is a skeet killing machine! Remember the era of "muzzle bandages." Don't need one with a Cutts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not quite like the Simmons rib in that turning the flange on the barrel indicates Winchester's intention to produce a Cutts-specific barrel. I doubt if any plain barrel "skeets" went to dealers without the steam whistle so it's factory even IF Lyman was a contract installer. The analogy is screw choking. Lots of aftermarket tubes in muzzles threaded by the manufacturer of the guns and lots of fixed choke guns with the "modification". The irony: the fiddled WS- guns are sought after; the "factory" SKEETS not particuarly desirable.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only way to know is to measure the chokes to see if they are WS1. If not, and is a true cylinder, then you can bet the farm on a cut barrel. If they are still WS1 it gets much more interesting as a oddity. Want to borrow my bore micrometer?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

KYJon,
Not sure if that will work as the choke is essentially removed in either case since the completed barrel with the Cutts and Skeet choke is the same length as the WS-1 without the Cutts. I have both and they are the same length.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WS1 should be a .005 choke. If the barrel has no choke in the last 2-3" of the barrel it has been cut or reamed out, but why bother doing that?. If there is .005 choke in the barrel I would be say it is an original. Being 24" is not a deal killer to me for factory made. I shot a borrowed Model 12 that the factory had chrome plated for a rich shooter. Never say never, but you can say odd, until you know for sure.

If it had been say a 26" barrel that they cut to 25" to add a Cutts and then cut again to remove all traces of the Cutts to make it 24", add a rib and refinish the gun at that time I would expect it to be a true cylinder. A 24" factory WS 1 barrel would be an oddity but I know Winchester would make anything if you knew the right person and had money. My father had them make a solid rib 28 ga. model 12 for me after they had refused to make one for several years. He found the right person and got them to do it. Hunting with a fellow who had ordered two model 21's I am sure made it easier to find the right person. Wonder who ever got those guns? Wish I did.

Jimmy W Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
That would be why mine has a plain barrel. Hot item in Buckeyeland? Not around here.

jack
I know what you mean. I never cared for them either. One of the best skeet shooters at our club shoots a Model 12 with a Cutts. He breaks his doubles so fast I don't know how he does it. He and another guy (who also shoots with a Cutts), along with a third guy won our winter skeet league last year. A couple of other guys shoot with Cutts on their Model 12s. I have a 16 gauge/solid rib Model 12 with knock out gorgeous wood (and the older tiny forearm) that has the old Weaver screw in choke system. I put a leather covered pad on it and guys have been begging me to sell it. One of the local dealers has a Model 12- 12 gauge barrel/forearm only with a Cutts on it with a $350.00 price tag laying on the back of a shelf in his store. If someone sees it, it won't be there long. For some reason they seem to have caught on around here the past few years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is pretty simple to figure out because the gun is stamped WS1.

I have never seen a genuine special order 24" M-12 barrel. But if this is "real" the bore mic will demonstrate it clearly. WS1 was a proprietary design with constriction followed by flare at the muzzle. In a 20 WS1 constriction usually amounts to about .003 or so, maybe .004. I have not measured one (20 gauge) at .005.

If the barrel was orignally 26" (most likely) there will be no flare following constriction. Indeed, there will not likely be much constriction at all.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

You got it, Sam. I bet there is no flare.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, think again. If a barrel with Cutts and 26" overall length has the Cutts removed, the barrel will be about 19 or 20 inches long. Measuring the bore is the only way to identify the originality of a WS1 barrel. Even so, the gun is not going to be worth the ridiculous asking price.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.