Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunut - On both of mine the top level stays to the right when opened and only comes back towards the centre when the action is closed. I suspect something is not quite working properly on yours.

As to you question about the vertical play with the forend off....not qualified to answer.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

canvasback,
good to have you join us...and thanks for the information...Ill have to get that lever lock looked into....

gunut
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Thanks for the welcome Pete. I have not yet figured out if the lock up is a Pieper patent but to be honest, I haven't researched it a great deal. There is a contributor to the littlegun website who has written a history of the Pieper companies but as it is only in French I have not bought it yet. Need to work on my translating abilities. I am also aware of the "Henri Pieper" damascus gun and have seen a photo of it but do not remember where on the web I found it. Quite unbelievable! If I find it again I'll try to get a link to it or post it here.

I'll get some photos of my other guns up in the next few days. Thanks for the link on posting photos.

Very good. I have the Pieper book. It is excellent, a fascinating read. A great deal of information about the family. Some tables of the various models produced. The problem is that Pieper and the resulting company was so prolific, the book could be 3x longer and still only touch the surface. Just going through all the Pieper patents would be a worthwhile effort for a book. Perhaps some day it will be translated.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunut;
Do you have to hold the lever over while closing the gun? If so I would guess a part is either missing or broken. There are a lot of doubles on which the lever does return to center with no latch, but upon closing the lever is cammed to the right by the bolt. I would not say a top lever gun has never been built that "Requires" holding over the lever, but they are few & far between.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM-Here's my Modified Diana:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper;
Dont have to hold the lever to the right when closing the gun, as the lever will move to the right when the action is closeing. but I hold the lever to the right anyhow.....
Have a Sterlingworth that the lever would not latch to the right...thought the latch operating spring was just missing but it was there...Dennis Potter made a new latch peice for the gun....its worked fine for years now...Not real expensive either...
Hope this gun is as easy of a fix...and not a real complicated [expensive] undertaking....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunut;
On the Sterlingworth you could not close the gun without moving the lever over to the right could you. If this gun cams the lever over, chances are it was never made with a latch. I currently have three doubles which never had a latch, one English, J P Clabrough, one German J P Sauer, & an early American Lefever Arms Co with the side pivot lever. All of these were designed to cam back the bolt upon closing & none ever had a latch. I have owned others in the past as well.
If you tried to close that Sterlingworth without holding over the lever you would have simply rammed the rib extension down atop the bolting finger & been unable to close it. That needed fixed, this one probably doesn't.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper,
Now that I think back...you are right about the sterlingworth..if I did not hold the lever to the right when closeing all I just got was a very disconcerting thunk...

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some photos of my Pieper sidelock. Sorry the photos aren't better. I'm a novice at photography. They'll get better!

[img][/img]

It would probably help if I had even cleaned the gun but I haven't touched it yet.

As I mentioned before it has a hideous stock on it. The chequering is a spectacular...I don't know....7 or 8 lines per inch. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.