March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, CJF, ChiefAmungum, Lloyd3, battle, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

canvasback,

Thanks. Nice to see a sidelock diana. In the 1st picture, what is that gold numbering about?

garyg,

A "wholesale price list"? Don't see those every day for Belgian guns. Nice find.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Pete

The gold lettering is a type of cocking indicator. When both barrels are cocked the gold line points to the "L". When the first barrel is fired, it moves halfway to the "D". When the second is fired, it moves the rest of the way. BTW, it's on both sides of the receiver.

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete,
That is from a book titled "wholesale price list of fishing tackle and hunting outfits" put out by the H.H.Knife company,New York.

I dont know if they sold direct to the public or not.

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

James,

I have never heard of an indicator like this one before. Can't figure out what the L & D stand for. You should send your pictures to Alain at LittleGun. I am sure he will end up posting them under the Pieper history / examples.

Speaking of Belgium. My friend encouraged me to start this thread. He is taking great joy in seeing all these Pieper guns that do not surface very much even in Belgium.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete

I have assumed the L and the D are initials from french words. Just haven't figured the words out yet. I'll send some pictures to Alain and see what he can tell us.

I know I'm Canadian and this language thing is supposed, by government decree, to be second nature to all of us up here but I don't seem to be very good at getting with the Liberal/left wing plan.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

James & Pete

Since the rib inscription is in English, I would venture to say that the "L" is for loaded and the "D" is for discharged

JMHO

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
CJO #164703 10/21/09 01:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Claudio - Just what I needed....some common sense! I was too busy thinking about what french word would fit to make the connection to the english on the rib. Thanks. I have already sent Alain a message on the subject but I strongly suspect you are correct. Thanks.

James

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete-Can you help me with the proofmarks on the Modified Diana that I posted? I've tried to decipher them using the charts but I'm not doing too well. Even just a ballpark date would help. Tell your friend, my Pieper hammergun is a very good gun.

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hammergun,

I will do my best. We know it has to be 1892 or later because it is a modified diana. So, the rest is elimination. It does not have the diamond / rhombus with the gauge markings, they started using that in 1898. I don't see any indication of nitro proofing.

A lot of the other marks are the old fashion controller of proof marks, for which we have no information. Some of the other marks, eg N in circle, may be from the Pieper factory, indicating job codes or quality control.

How's a 6 year time span, 1892-1898? I have seen ads for the modified diana that were much later, so this is a relatively early gun. I have never seen a serial number list for these guns.

For the diana and modified diana guns, you can be sure the damascus was produced at Pieper's "Brazil works" barrel shop. Probably by some of the people in this picture.

Pete

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.