May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, CJF, riflegunbuilder, Tim in PA, 1 invisible), 540 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,060
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two Repros, one with a single trigger, one with doubles, one with a splinter and one with a beavertail. My RBL has all the bells and whistles.

The RBL action uses the default A&D action, which is what, as old a design as the Parker? The Parker, like most American guns, started with a clean sheet of paper. Both work very well and it would be silly to argue otherwise. The Parker single triggers usually work, some don't. Mine does, and I will give the nod to the Parker single trigger for the better feel, any way you want to describe it.

The RBl has tubes - that's hard to trump. Oh, and 28" barrels. But the RBL also has a puffed up trigger guard (you know what I'm talking about) and a frumpy beavertail with a so-so fit (at least every one I've seen - what's with fitting the fore-end?). The Parker is simply sleek in any configuration, well fit and finished.

Parker stocks are kind of a grab bag. I am of the impression they were individually made, so you pays your money and takes your chances. The RBLs seem shootable, no matter what.

After all that, I rather like the Parker best, but the RBL is no slouch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
If they ever stop making RBL's, you will see the price go through the roof.

CSMC has already stopped manufacturing RBL's. All the guns coming out now are being assembled from parts on hand. Prices have not gone through the roof, yet.

I own an RBL 20 and a Parker Repro 28, both with straight grip/splinter/DT, 28" bbls. I am waiting for my RBL 28, same configuration but with 30" barrels. The RBL and the Repro are different guns, and both are excellent. It's a matter of esthetics, fit, and versatility. If you need choke tubes in a small bore, buy an RBL. If you need a longer LOP, buy an RBL. If you can't find the Repro you want at the right price, buy an RBL. If you need to shoot steel or other hard non-tox, buy the RBL. If you are only going to have one gun, buy the RBL. If you hope to get out of the gun more money than you put into it, buy the Repro. Hard to go wrong with either one.

The RBL is a more modern design with more versatility than the Repro, but only makes it "better" for some purposes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last of the Parker Repros sold for $1,999/2,099. Let's not jump to conclusions regarding appreciation. The law of supply and demand will dictate future value. Currently, the supply of RBL's is plentiful. Once (if) that changes, the price will soar.
By the way, Replacement, you will love your RBL-28. It's the best. I have one with 30" bbls., DT, ES, BTFE, choked Skeet/IC and it's my favorite. I've added a .6" decelerator pad and it weighs 5lbs., 14oz......perfection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did like the RBL 20 enough that I wanted an RBL 28. My 30" barrels will be choked M/F for doves in the desert. Can't get that combo in a Parker Repro, so nod to the RBL for that configuration. But, the Repro is an awfully nice gun, even at today's prices.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarkOue

1. The materials used to make the RBL may also be superior.

2. The Parker repro is a Parker. .

1. Not likely.

2. True.

3. The RBL is basically an overpriced SKB. Not a bad thing, but it is not a Parker.

Ole Cowboy
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I happen to have a few of each. I use them alternately for clays and birds. Therefore I can talk with direct and reasonably substantial experience.
I won't bother going over the differences in specifications (screw in chokes in 20 ga. vs. not, etc.) but I'll focus on the "other" items.
RBL
- great value
- tough as nails
- reasonable, but not great fit and finish
- generally muddy and unattractive case coloring
- so so engraving
- good dynamics in the 20 and 28ga., poor dynamics in the 12 and 16Ga.
- future appreciation very uncertain. Not a "classic" more of a workhorse

Parker Reproduction
- excellent fit and finish
- attractive case coloring - but thin, Cover with shellac and no problems.
- so far. no problems at all with single triggers, double triggers, or anything else. That includes many rounds of Skeet and Sporting Clays as well as Hunting.
- good dynamics in 20,28 and 12 ga.
- it is a modern day classic as reflected in its appreciation.

In the end, based on my direct experience, I believe that the RBL is a really good gun, but that the Reproductions are superior. That value difference seems to be reflected in their relative prices.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ah wus gonna by won o dem fan ce ova prict gons, but den ah bout ate 311s en for gages; two ov each. now ah got my shutters an ah spair, case won brakes. awl fur les munny tu.

Last edited by ed good; 10/31/09 10:56 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Don Moody

The RBL is basically an overpriced SKB. Not a bad thing, but it is not a Parker.

If this is true, then owning a Parker Repro is like owning a print. It's not the real thing but it does resemble the original.
Frankly, I get almost as excited about owning a Repro as I do owning a Lionel made in China.
You could make all the same arguments about them being as good if not better but somehow it's not the same, is it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"it is a exact reproduction of a very highly sought after classic"

"already a classic design"

"it is a modern day classic as reflected in its appreciation"

Are we talking about the Toyota Corolla or the Honda Civic?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tom28ga
Originally Posted By: Don Moody

The RBL is basically an overpriced SKB. Not a bad thing, but it is not a Parker.

If this is true, then owning a Parker Repro is like owning a print. It's not the real thing but it does resemble the original.
Frankly, I get almost as excited about owning a Repro as I do owning a Lionel made in China.
You could make all the same arguments about them being as good if not better but somehow it's not the same, is it.

All your worrying about is where the plant is located. They just switched sides of the street(the pond, if you will), The product is still the same or better.

Ole Cowboy
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.