May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Kolar Dickson, arrieta2, Chad Linder, Hammergun, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 1,146 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,658
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Steve I'll look into the Elsie's

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am an old hunter there Joseph (hope you are getting ready for the annual Xmas pageant down there at the Guiding Light Mission on S. Beale St., ho ho ho).. But I am also, like Audubon, a bird watcher, and ever since my boyhood days have been fascinated by aircraft and flight. To me, all the Airborne Taloned Patrol are the most gracefull killers God ever cooked up on His drawing board of Death- Swift, Silent, Deadly.

Hawks do way far more good than harm, their main food "targets' are field mice, snakes, rodents, dead or dying gophers and woodchucks, etc.

About 20 some years ago, when I had an earlier Johnny Stewart model game caller (that one played 45 RPM recordings) we went out for fox/coyotes in early Feb- snow, cold- I had the .243Win and my pal had a M12- we set up in heavy brush on the edge of a stand of pines, facing both the wind and a slight hill about 300 yards distant, behind that, a hardwood stand- Fortunately, I had set the speaker with a longer cord about 30 feet to my right- I started the rabbit squeal- short, faint, in a heartbeat a big redtailed hawk screamed in from out of nowhere and headed right towards that speaker in a limb- I lifted the gun barrel (not to shoot the hawk) and at that motion he went into a vertical power climb and disappeared- Most impressive thing I have seen in all my years hunting/shooting, even more so then the two buck deer fighting with their antlers tangled- about 15 years ago in MT.

We have lotsa "antis" patrolling our various sites today- many of the Audubon-its hate hunting, add to that the "yo-yo" factors, the graphic shirts and bumber stickers, etc- than some of our brother "hunters" feel they must display- I wish there had just been a foto of the shotgun- not a deceased red-tailed hawk-- and the shotgun is NOT an LC Smith with that style of fore-arm release latch- Crescent, Davis, Thomas Parker, Hopkins & Allen perhaps, but But not an Elsie..

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 12/14/09 04:25 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Deeley and Edge forend latch lets out a bunch of guns like Smith, Baker, etc. Still could be an Ithaca,Davis, or other similar gun.

Oh, they had bounties on foxes, too. Just bring the ears to the Court House and get your two bucks, which was big money, then.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 12/14/09 10:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
We have lotsa "antis" patrolling our various sites today- many of the Audubon-its hate hunting, add to that the "yo-yo" factors, the graphic shirts and bumber stickers, etc- than some of our brother "hunters" feel they must display- I wish there had just been a foto of the shotgun- not a deceased red-tailed hawk--

I suppose there are a few people who could be offended by a photo taken 80-90 years ago, but I probably wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

W B,

Maybe you should crop the photo and only post the gun so as to get more specific answers to your query.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Crescent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably a mid to upper grade A.J. Aubrey or Meriden Fire Arms Co. Their better grades offered Krupp barrels and had slim forearms like that and the sculptured profiles to the actions.

Last edited by Researcher; 12/14/09 01:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It struck me as Aubrey or Meriden too, but then my low level example has a grip cap and this looks like POW.

Last edited by Sven; 12/14/09 01:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Aubrey/Meridan ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

After comparing the pic with some examples, I too think it is a Aubrey/Meridian Arms sourced from Sears and the tubes of Krupp steel from Belgium. What would aide in the elimination is that if is was known that it was either a boxlock or sidelock. The Greenpeace save the whales, I mean birds, comments are unfounded, out of context and way off base. Either the raptor was cutting into the Sunday chicken dinner or he was the white meat dinner himself. Hunters didn't put the raptors on the protected list as it was DDT, and possible a few other compositions. The raptors thrive well as do other predators since there aren't many folks eating coon and opossums and if you don't have predator control on a preserve or hunting area, you aren't going to have a lot of game.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.