April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fudd), 495 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Norm,

Unfortunately it does not. They did not advertise ejectors until late in the game. However, first year guns have shown up with ejectors and they were mid-grade guns. Which only proves that AJ Aubrey would build anything the customer asked for. I would guess that it was a higher end model because of the description of the engraving. They only advertised 12ga and 16ga, later a 20ga. But a 20ga has shown up earlier than advertised. There at least 2 or 3 multiple gauge barrel sets floating around. One of which is supposedly a 12/16/20 set. I recently found a diary entry that mentioned a 10ga sxs Aubrey, which was never advertised.

Destry,

I have to agree about the chicken. If the bird was nesting nearby it would have torn up the family chickens. Which is perhaps the reason for the photo....

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Sven
Walnut Bird: There are a few around, most in rough condition. Here's a higher grade example but with no mention of ejectors:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150324521

Here is yet another. Slightly higher grade with Krupp barrels. The barrels have been cut to 26"...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=149571480

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

What if I posted that I'll also shoot on sight any PETA or Greenpeacers that try to interfere with my legal right to: (1) own and bear firearms, including my CCW? (2) Harrass me or my hunting buddies while afield in the legal seasons? We had some antis protesting a live (until released and airborne) anyway, pigeon tower shoot- the owner of the private property had the DNR numbnutz out- tried to close him down (sound like the Philadelphia Gun Club and their anti-pigeon shooting protesters) and he filed suit and won, and also got a restraining order against these *&^%%$# do-gooders.

I won't harm a hawk ever- they are brother hunters, and even back before they were protected, they would have been safe as houses around me-and they prey on vermin and snakes, NOT game bird nests as do crows, magpies and the afore-mentioned four footed fur bearing varmints--

As for the possible "Rednecked" supper table fare- I can't imagine eating a cooked hawk- reminds me of what Jim Rikhoff once said to his dinner hostess, who had tried to cook venison and ruined it- "Well, Jim, what does that taste like? she asked him. Old Jimbo, cut from the same Country Cloth as perhaps Terry Bradshaw, replied: "About like boiled owl!""

The antis that patrol our site here won't make the fine point of distinction that when this fot was taken, hawks were legal to kill. Instead, that foto could have been fuel for the anti-gun owning fires they are a kindlin'- and like a good dose of the clap, they will never ever stop or quit or go away. I have no "membership" decals except my DU on my truck or jeep- and when driving to a hunting club or private farm on public roads during the Fall, I never wear camo or orange caps or anything that might evidence that I am about to visit Ma nature and shoot some of her wildlife-keep a low profile says I--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everything simply has to be put in its proper perspective. I feel sure either of my Grandads would have had no qualms about shooting a Hawk. Both were farmers & both had chickens. I don't have such a photo of either of them but if I did I likewise would have no qualms about sharing it. I likewise would have no qualms about sharing a foto of either of my G-Grandfathers in their confederate uniform with their foot atop a slain Michigan Yankee in Blue. It would be relevant to the time.
To bad-mouth a foto of this age by today's standards is strictly "IDIOTIC".
Originally Posted By: RWTF
The antis that patrol our site here won't make the fine point of distinction that when this fot was taken, hawks were legal to kill.

They also will make no distinction between this killing of a Hawk & the other "Vermin" you so proudly boast of. To them you Killed Something, That's It, so why would you worry about what they think for one but not the other.

Last edited by 2-piper; 12/15/09 12:47 PM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox, When all you see is dirt around you, quit digging.

Oddly enough, I hunted on a ranch that raises decorative chickens for fly tying. It's a hawk/owl magnet. It takes 3 seasons and cold weather to raise the birds to premium cape size and condition.
He had an anti-predation permit from USFWS. The preferred method being padded leghold traps on top of poles.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox you continue to amaze but ceased to amuse a long time ago.

Where was this supposed protested tower pigeon shoot? I'd think something like that would get around amongst the local sporting fraternity and I never heard a word about it.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
Fox you continue to amaze DLH

Hey you guys, lighten up on the Fox! He tends to post whatever comes to his mind (maybe without always thinking about it too long), but I don't remember any of his posts being intentionally cruel or or critical of other members, and he has started using paragraphs and puctuation marks now and I've gotten to be sort of a fan of his off the wall style. He has as much right to state his opinions as any of us...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thankee George- a true Southern g'entman rises to the cause. Fust off, my Heart has always been in Dixie- I was raised in the Queen City, and Cincinnati OH is a lot more Southern than most Damn Yankees realize. I love Southern ladies, cookin', Lynyrd Skynrd (former HS janitor in 'Bama made famous by Muscle Shoals Van Zandt boys by way o Texas) and I'll gladly piss on the grave of any Michigan bluecoat that put any Southern lady to shame or burned and pillaged their homestead during Sherman's march to Savannah-and I also won a bundle on the recent Crimson Tide show of power, and they will beat the Longhorns- That being said- y'all--

DLH- we shot pigeons this past March- Chuck told me about the PETA buttholes that tried to picket and protest one of his Tower shoots- he won in court and they have most likely learned to go and piss down someone else's back and try to tell 'em that it is raining.

Was I offended by the foto of the "Spread Eagle" deceased redtail, whether Henry or Henrietta? Hell no- I am an avid varmint hunter--and I have left many a woodchcuk hole in a summer alfala field splattered with guts, goo and blood, for the later "midnite snacking" of the Airborne Death Patrol--Owls, Hawks- we have some well fed ones around my digs in the summer months, as I am out after "pasture piggies" almost every night-

BUT- my point, and I recall all the flack RMC got here about a year ago for showing fotos of a 'yote he had shot in the ass end with his 10 bore LeFever Damascus barreled double, and although I applauded his decision and marksmanship, he caught some grief.

The PETA ass holes don't care about the fact, as well documented here, that the foto was taken way before Hawks were protected- to them that is just another sign of the stereotype Joe Six-pack redneck with the big gut, a mouthful of West VA coleslaw (Red Man) killing anything that moves- or "if it flies, it dies"--

My folks lived in the Big Queen City- but as we were all avid hunters and shooters, we had many area farmer friends- The Depression was a tough time, and I don't blame a farmer if he shot a Hawk (or a fox) to protect his brood chcickens that provided eggs and Sunday dinners- any more than I fault the "locals" near our deer camp near Lovells who take a few does untagged- those are the deer we DON'T hit on the roads at night coming back from Micelli's, and as long as they are used to feed their families and not sold to some "downState flatlanders" I have no problem at all.

Sorry (well, somewhat anyway) you misunderstood my postings, I see the gentleman who raised the question changed his foto to delete the deceased Raptor- It is just, to my mind anyway, important that we think twice about what fotos and messages we post on open forums such as we have here (and thanks again George for your comments and our apparent mutual belief in both the First as well as the Second Amendments- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
Probably a mid to upper grade A.J. Aubrey or Meriden Fire Arms Co. Their better grades offered Krupp barrels and had slim forearms like that and the sculptured profiles to the actions.

Did they make hammerguns as well?
The gun in the picture looks like it has hammers to me,...but I could be wrong

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.