April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (PALUNC, StevenD, Jimmy W, canvasback), 547 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#173197 01/06/10 01:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No longer on the sponsors list.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect that Cabela's is a cutting back, way back on any expenses. I also suspect many of thier Gun Libraries will be closed. I can certainly see that they have cut back the inventory of them in the two Texas stores.

Last edited by postoak; 01/06/10 03:19 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard the rumor about GL's closing. However, I know that Tom Bryant from Sidney recently spent about a week in one of the stores training a new GL guy, which would indicate that they're certainly not all going to close. What I'd guess is happening is that due to the economy, they're simply not buying as many used guns as they used to. I expect there will be more empty slots on the racks in many of the GL's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw some traffic on this recently and it seemed to bear out what Larry says. It seemed from the info I saw that Cabelas had perhaps moved too far and too fast in their purchasing of used guns without the proper market knowledge present in their buyers. When they then tried to pass along their "bad buys" (too much spent) to their customers, the result was apparently terrific inventories of guns they could not sell. Additionally, the little criminal episode committed by some of their personnel in the gun libraries may be having something also to do with current decisions.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If they end up in dire straits.........they have a A&S Sporting gun that I would take off there hands! I haven't made an offer for fear they might accept.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

What little experience I've had with the Cabela's Gun Library and it's staff through emails, telephone conversations, and three or four deals where I sent money, was shipped guns/rifles, then sent each and every one back due to big condition issues that weren't initially disclosed -- where the staff have (all but one instance) seemed ignorant AND arrogant (perhaps in attempt to cover for the ignorance..?) -- it's left me with the sense that the market won't be losing much if Cabela's ditches the Gun Library effort.

The fraud/theft/criminal events from within their own staff (in retrospect) don't surprise me a bit.

Did WE make THEM mad..?
eh!

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

I watch GunsInternational each day for new listings and from the number of new guns being listed by Cabela's it would be difficult to recognize a cutback.
Bob Jurewicz

Sidelock
Sidelock

The experience, knowledge, and people skills vary widely in the different stores. With those less cooperative Outfitters I have had great luck by continuing to ask the same question until I get what I want. Certainly many of the GL people are knowledgeable and helpful.

I am amazed by what a high percentage of the stores have neither bore gauge or wall thickness gauge. How do you buy a doublegun made in 1917 without knowing the wall thickness or at least the bore diameter? If it is English AND you have the proof charts AND you have a bore diameter guage you can at least tell if it is in proof. Lord knows on the American guns.

Having said all that they have a good website with some of the most informative writeups on the internet. Certainly not up to Puglisi or Galazan but better than most.

The inspection period is reassuring. Then your maximum loss is two shipping charges.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/06/10 04:34 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any one who places an ad on the web is monitoring the number of click-throughs. In other words, how much traffic did my advertising dollar generate. It is simple economics. Only spend on what generates traffic.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabela's St. Louis GL seems to have all racks full, and I haven't seen any signs of a cutback.

Unfortunately, earlier this year they lost an excellent GL manager, Steve Barzee. I haven't bought any shotguns there recently, but had bought several from him.

Some of thei inventory turns quickly, when priced attractively. On the other hand, I've seen shotguns that stayed there for more than a year. Recently, they have reduced the prices on some of the slow movers.

I was in the Kansas City store a few weeks ago, and thought they had more competitive used gun pricing in that GL.

Overall, I like Cabela's, and shop there at least monthly.

JERRY

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.