May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (LGF, MattH, Stanton Hillis, bbman3, 2 invisible), 353 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,587
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, Interesting game and outcome!
During the game, one good friend told me he agrees the magazine should run a follow up article, but will not say that here as he sits with so & so, a vendor at all the big events and would not want his post here to make waves for his associate.
While noble of him for taking his friend into consideration, it remains the principle of the thing.

By their posting or lack of, we'll see who are the principled and who are not.

Daryl, you have not said yet what your feelings are; if they published an article and were promptly, courteously informed it is incorrect, is a correction warranted? Or, are the readers to accept so little in the way of honest, inclusive publication?

Too, I received an email from a friend; it seems another SSM writer told him the Editor offered to print something if I write it.
My point is, it is His place to be principled enough to insure his Magazine steps up and rights this issue in the form of an article they publish; 1/2 page, quarter page, I am available for them to speak with. I have documentation, bills of sale, email communications from the engraver who shares his first hand recollections of these guns, as well as the SuperBritte guns, the family, and more.
G&H gets an article, I am told write a letter?
This does not sound very principled to me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob Rowley...I just started this thread to ask people about the H Y Andrews marks on my nice Belgian Gun....
As Manuel on Fawlty Towers would say.."I know nothing seenior Fawlty" about those new old guns,..though I remember seeing a pic of two...looked gorgeous!!
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, in a perfect world I would like all of the information to be correct. From time to time I have offered corrections to authors and sometimes I get a thank you and sometimes they don't respond. This subject seems too far down my list of windmills to challenge. It does sound like you have some access to some good information and good guns. Unknown to me until this year, Britte started actions appear all over Europe with names like Nowotny etc. I think an article expanding on what has been found recently and remains unpublished on Britte, etc., would be fascinating.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Bob,
As a friend of long standing, forever SSM suscriber, SXS collector/hunter, I would advise you,
and the Texas gentleman/lawyer to prepare and present to the author, Doug Tate, information, (photos,
documents, etc.) necessary to enable Doug to properly expand upon the article in question. I have personally
inspected two of the (3) omitted 16 ga. Holland & Holland-style Sidelock guns in question, and feel that your logic with reference to misstatements and facts omitted in the article appear legitimate.

Furthermore, several years ago, Doug Tate wrote an article about John Dickson trigger plate (round) action guns that initially omitted mention of a rare pair of "sideplated" Dickson 12 ga. triggerplate action guns. However, Doug later/or sequentially "added" a brief article, with photo, describing this rare pair of guns. At one time, I owned gun number 2 of this pair, and at an SCI event was fortunate to have had it inspected by Dickson's CEO. The CEO was very excited to know that these two guns existed, as their serial numbers had been left blank in the original factory records. Doug Tate was very helpful to me in my quest for information on this gun, in fact, he personally set up the above mentioned interview/inspection with Dickson's CEO.

Good luck with this, Bob. What's right is right!!

Buckwheat

Last edited by Buckwheat; 02/10/10 11:28 PM. Reason: punctuation
JRD Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

To All-
I want to let everyone know that Bob's statements regarding the Britte guns are true and correct. I was involved with the original offering and had considered purchasing all three of the 16 gauge guns which were offered at the Vintage Cup. Indeed, there were 20 original finished guns. However,as I recall,only few represetative samples were present and they were very nice. Anyway,I think it would be most appropriate for Shooting Sportsman to do a story on the "missing" 16 gauge guns because they were unique.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think buckwheat has exactly the right approach. Doug is the guy who wrote the story and would be the guy to amend it. I do suggest that when contacting him you do not use the names bumbellybeak or buckwheat.
Best,
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, Mal, Jack, Thank you.

There have been over TWENTY-SIX HUNDRED looks at this thread to date; thank you for being principled enough to to speak-up.

A rare find of 20 Belgian finished Holland & Holland-style Sidelocks, three of which are 16 gauge and were purchased by private parties, ought not be reported as a find of 17 acquired by an advertiser in the magazine, and left at that.

Of course others believe that as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now, over Twenty Eight Hundred looks at this thread.

Question: Does a well regarded magazine have a responsibility to its readership to tell the entire story, or, is it appropriate for them to ask their readership to accept and believe their reporting there were 17 finished 12 gauge Holland & Holland-style sidelocks among the Britte/Dessart/Pissart collection, which were acquired by a major advertiser of that publication, when, in fact, there were 20, three of which are in 16 gauge which were selected and purchased by private parties, before G&H acquired those remaining 17?

Or, do they have the responsibility to publish the factual truth?

See Nov/Dec 2009 issue; bottom of p.59 & top of p.50 where it is incorrectly asserted that there were 17, all in 12 gauge, which is erroneous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is sad that this magazine and others published like it do not take the resposibilities they have to their subscribers seriously. A few gorgeous pictures of a few gorgeous guns, edged with filler, and enough advertising to make a profit is the formula they follow.
To the great credit of this bulletin board,there has been more solid facts,well documented history,and intersting stories, written right here than I have read in the slick mags over the past three years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Over Three Thousand looks at this thread.
Only a few people willing to express their opinion? And they are all in agreement.
Don't be shy. Let's hear from you..

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.