May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Karl Graebner, HMAK, Ian Forrester, Mike Harrell, j7l2, 1 invisible), 1,055 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,523
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#178814 02/15/10 02:45 AM
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Never thought it would happen. Only good thing, perp walked by 3 vintage SXS and took two handguns off my desk. A nice Ruger Speed Six and a SW mdl.63-3 22lr. You want an out of body experience? Try looking at a space that had 2 nice revolvers and realize someone was in your house and took something of yours. Thief had to wade through 2 aggressive,seasoned Golden Retrievers who take very seriously the protection of this farm. The Sheriff wouldn't come in until I put the dogs away. They have trained every delivery man, mail person and JW to stay in their cars and honk. I should have had a blood trail to follow and shreds of clothing everywhere. Also, walk by 6 other barking Labs and Goldens. Wish they could talk. It''s a long story with lots of details, farm is rural northern Michigan, Only one person outside family has been inside as far as the kitchen. This farm has not been without a family member on site but for one day in the past four years. That day just happened, what a surprise. Lived here for 21 years. Sheriff not surprised at any of the particulars, as home invasion is on the rise. Agrees thief is opportunist and inexperienced,as left cameras, leica binocs, scopes and three other handguns in boxes. Just took the visible handguns unless I find more missing elsewhere. Not to start a who-done-it, just a heads up and don't feel as bullet proof as I felt. Time to rethink the security thing. Anyone else been violated? Randy

RMC
RMC #178817 02/15/10 06:43 AM
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear about the burglary and the things you've lost. It's one thing for something to be gone, it's quite another to be violated and a victim of a crime.

All of my good guns get locked up. I keep some handguns hidden in plain sight. I don't keep anything out in the open.

Last edited by JM; 02/15/10 06:43 AM.
JM #178819 02/15/10 06:58 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear of the loss of your guns.
It must have been someone the dogs knew and someone who knew there would be no one home that day.
Pete

sxsman1 #178820 02/15/10 07:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy,
Sorry to hear about the loss and invasion/violation of your castle.

About 10 yrs ago, my neighbor was re-roofing his house. He had brought a nephew down from Bakersfield. My wife caught the kid casing our house. He had come clear over to the opposite side of our house and into what amounts to our backyard. A few days later, our house was burglurized thru a side window. Police didn't do squat even though we told them who did it. About $7-9K in jewerly, a bow, binocs, rangefinder, etc., no guns as they were in the safe.

Chuck H #178821 02/15/10 07:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with sxsman.........sounds like an inside job.

sxsman1 #178822 02/15/10 07:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: sxsman1
Sorry to hear of the loss of your guns.
It must have been someone the dogs knew and someone who knew there would be no one home that day.
Pete

Unfortunately, this is likely true. they knew the dogs, and knew what you had lying around, so a recent "guest" is the probable culprit.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

RMC,

Yes, I do know how mad you are. I had the same thing happen 2 1/2 yrs. ago. It was October, my wife had flown to Arizona to visit our eldest son and family and I was harvesting peanuts within a mile of my house. I picked until dark, pulled a few trailer loads to the buying point and went home. When I drove up to the carport I saw the door open. I retrieved my .45 ACP that rides with me and eased in the door very cautiously. That was a very weird feeling clearing my own house, with the possibility of confronting the burglar at every doorway. But, he was gone. My door had been battered in, a steel Pella outside door with knob lock and deadbolt.

The fool took a big Onkyo stereo system and tried to hock it a the first store only six miles from my house to a guy to whom I just happened to mention it was stolen. He told me who he was, deputies picked him up, and now he's doing time. He sent me money from prison to repay me for all my out of pocket costs (insurance deductible, etc.), but nothing repays the loss of security and the feelings of violation.

I now have a good security system with little blue signs to let everyone know it's here.

Sorry for your loss, RMC, and I hope they catch the bastard(s).

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My parents home was broken into in Harrisonburg Va about 4 years ago. Thief's, knocked a hole in the upper window of the side door to the garage. Once inside the garage the inner door was open and they went through the house. Didn't take any guns although there were guns there but in closets and such. Did however take all my mom's jewelry and about $500 in cash and some silverware. They also came right by the guard dog a mixed breed who is all bark and no bite who was actually in the garage at the time. Local police surmised it was college kids looking for money to buy drugs. Nothing was ever recovered. My parents since have installed a burglar alarm. However, the bigger thing is they lost their feeling that this sort of thing didn't happen in a home they had lived in for over 20 years. Just not the same when you realize there are folks out there who have no problem in invading your home.

foxes rule
tut #178830 02/15/10 09:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry for your loss. I agree those dogs know who did it and they know the person as OK, not a stranger. In 2004 I had a break in while I was in my vacation home. Only slept there about two nights a month. Dumb luck to be there. Jerk kicked in the back door. I greeted him with a Sterlingworth 12 bore, in the living room. To say it was a bad day for him would have been an understatement. Held him for the Deputy Sheriff.

He ended up turning states evidence and help solve countless crimes in that county. He knew who did, or did himself, just about every crime that had happened in the last six months. He got off without any more than time served. No sweat though, he got busted about three months later and is still in prison. Talk about stupid. I bet the people he help convict were real happy to see him in prison with them.

Knew a person who was repeatedly robbed. Four or five times in just a couple years. Locals. They got past dogs and alarms at will. He ended the problem by "keeping" snakes in the house. Big sign on the front and rear doors explains that his snakes are poisonous and that the local hospital does have the anti venom on hand if you get there in time. Kept a couple of snake skin sheds in plain sight of the windows. That has been over ten years and he still has no problems. I doubt he has seen or kept a snake in years but they did serve their purpose.

KY Jon #178833 02/15/10 10:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a real downer, Randy.

In Canada, I'd be charged for leaving guns unattended on a desk in plain sight.

From your circumstances, I'll bet you've a good line on the burglar.

Regards, King

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.