May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, prairie ghost, L. Brown, Ted Schefelbein), 328 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,131
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry for the teenage retort on slacum, guys. There are just so many superior products out there today that provide a classic "piano" finish but are superior in wear and water resistance to slacum. Yes, it does require time and patience to apply properly, but that doesn't make it good. Hell, Tru-Oil is better than slacum. One product that comes from the Land of Purdey that I particularly like and is far better than slacum is CCL's Conditioning Oil. Beautiful stuff.

I've never been remotely close to Purdey, but I bet they use something better these days and call it slacum.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
An oil finish is exactly that! An oil finish.
Tru-oil uses a plasticising agent as do many modern finishes.
Slacum is a Purdey tradename for a modified linseed oil finish developed by Harry Lawrence one of Purdey's employees.
CCL oil is a modified linseed oil as used in the Birmingham guntrade (W C Scott) for ages.
The Italian mass producers use varnishes, polyurethane sprayed on finishes but when they are commissioned for a 'best' oil finish, they lovingly apply linseed oil and most trade makers including H&H and Purdey use 'Trade Secrets' stock oil although I do know that many stockers still have their favourite brews.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Salopian, you are quite correct on all points. My problem with slacum is the wax component; I think it weakens the molecular chain somewhat and "softens" the end result, compared to these other product, which have no wax component, just linseed and modified polymers, that cure harder and are more durable. What say ye?
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
Spot on with your observations.
Originally beeswax was used, then carnuaba, and now the wax is left out completely.
The wax does (did) give a softer finish and added the satin like lustre in appearance, but I do know that many customers demanded a harder, impervious to knocks finish, something akin to varnish.
Note to all:- If you apply slacum a little but often you will build up a fabulous high gloss piano type finish.
The secret is applying a very small amount and spreading it out and rubbing it into the wood.An oil finish should be in the wood, not on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sal,
Would it really be slacum without the wax component? I would also go a little further and say an oil finish should be in the wood AND on it also if you want some gloss, because you do have to have what is known as a "dry film thickness" on the wood to achieve that glossy result.
JR

LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I see that there is a Napier gun stock oil for sale and a video of applying it. Is this similar to Slacum oil? Does it do a good job? Is the video worth buying?

Boxlock
Boxlock

Salopian, are you saying that you are now using slacum
oil that is just linseed,turpentine,and a drier, without wax
of any kind?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Sal,
Would it really be slacum without the wax component? I would also go a little further and say an oil finish should be in the wood AND on it also if you want some gloss, because you do have to have what is known as a "dry film thickness" on the wood to achieve that glossy result.
JR

Also known as the "color coat." Take the finish back to the wood and apply a very thin final coat.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I happened to be re-reading this post and thought that I
would try again. Can someone tell me what is in slacum if you
mix it without any wax of any kind?. I have tryed mixes with
nothing but traditional heat processed linseed, turpentine, and a little dryer. They do look good, but don't seem to have any pore filling ability at all. Salopian? Anyone?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.