March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I'm doing some research on my family's gun collection that spans 3 generations so far. The first im looking for information on is this 303 John Rigby duble rifle. The stock has many small dings, scratches, etc but nothing deep. The action is tight and the bores are in excellent condition. I'd like to know what model this gun is, approximately when it was made, approximate vaule (I know its difficult to evaluate a gun from pictures) and any other history you folks might be able to supply me with. I hope the pictures come through alright. Thanks for your time.
~Wes

Last edited by WesF; 02/26/10 07:36 PM.
WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sidelock
Sidelock

A very fine best quality rising bite ejector rifle. The side lever opener is unusual. Amount of case color hard to see in your photos. If the bores are good,and no real "problems", value probably in excess of 25K. Do you have the original case? The rifle pad detracts a bit. I don't have my serial list here, but would guess production about 1902. Good .303s are hard to come by. If you are looking to sell, I might be interested

All the best, Mal

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Simply stunning.....now THAT'S a Rifle!
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I don't have the original case for it sadly. The bud pad was replaced by my grandfather between 1950 - 1952. He was a Methodist Missionary and traveled where there was good big game hunting. smile He shot a very nice mountain goat with this gun in Alaska during those years. Thanks for the offer Mal, but I'm not interested in selling it. I'm just trying to find out more about this pretty piece.

I'm not very good at judging case color percentages. The sidelocks / outside metal colors are faded, but still visible. The colors on the breach face and flats are brighter and easily visible.

Last edited by WesF; 02/26/10 08:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to hear that some still treasure family things. I have my grandfathers 45 from WWI factory engraved with his name and rank.
When I was about 7 or8, I remember asking him what he had shot with it when "over there" He said the only thing was a mule that had broken a leg. You are fortunate to have some very fine pieces.

All the best, Mal

WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for all the help on this gun Mal!

~Wes

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wes,
Try this site http://forums.nitroexpress.com/ they have a very active group and there have been several discussions of the Rigby Rising bite rifles.
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
WesF Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

thanks Laurie. I'll check that site out and see what they can tell me. smile

~Wes

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't help you out a bit Wes, but that rifle is sure a beauty!

Cameron Hughes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.