May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HMAK, David Williamson, 1 invisible), 288 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,514
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Tom Armbrust tried pressure testing some early 1900s shells and found the results to be inconsistent related to primer degradation and hardening of the fibre wads and cases (causing increased pressure.)

not only primer degradation, but nitro powder decomposing, it's not black powder, its nitro powder and after many years and decomposing some nitro powders could produce extremely high pressures. Do not shoot them, it's collector item only.

Geno.
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Originally Posted By: "Tut"
Guess that is eon. Wonder why spell check didn't get that one.

Because "Ion" is a word, an electrically charged partical. Spell Check can only read your writing, not your mind as to how you intend using it.

Heck I can't even read my own mind and its mine to read.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending upon the condition of the original box some of those paper shells are worth some money to a collector. Why shoot them put them up on e-bay or some other site and sale them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have some fun and shoot them. I've shot dozens of boxes and most if not all shoot fine. Occasionally you'll get a dud but almost always that is with Winchester Super Speed with the silver primer. You can't sell ammo on Ebay and if you could I've got easily over a hundred boxes of classics that I would gladly put on. I'll sell all the classics anyone wants for $15 per box plus shipping. Told myself that I'm not gonna die with all this ammo. brdslayr@clearwire.net

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Geno. My experience has been super high recoil. I bought what the dealer at a gun show thought would be low pressure in a roll crimped 12g shell. Shot a few at skeet and cracked my stock. I felt the added recoil but did not have enough sense to stop before the damage.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot many hundreds (and chronographed dozens) of shotshells loaded between 1947-1960....never have I experienced a single instance of greater than expected recoil. I've shot very few pre-War (roll crimped) shells because of FTF's I suspect are related to the primers.The first time I experience it I'll cease the practice. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but if it does it's been infrequent enough that I seriously doubt it has ever been correlated to decomposing smokeless powder. IMHO, smokeless powder will not become more energetic with age and I've found no scientific evidence to suggest otherwise. This rates right there with "modern shotshells will blow up a Damascus barrel." I don't doubt that it has happened, I'm just skeptical of the conclusions people draw from such anecdotal evidence. Everyone's entitled to their opinion; I just can't help pointing out where opinion and fact diverge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for being gentle in your reply Mike. It is true that it is anecdotal for the first six shells in the box. There were no markings to indicate an out of the ordinary load on the box and I certainly retired it after that. Have it around somewhere since they were pretty and I have trouble throwing things out. I do not shoot old loads anymore regardless of anybodies results. It was an expensive lesson for me.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
I once picked up a girl in chemistry class. I wrote a note that said, "I've had my ion you for an eon." But it didn't work out. We had opposite charges.

It sounds like you were "poles apart"!;)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Сhronograph does not show pressures.
When smokeless powder decomposed, smokeless powder doesn't burn, it tends to explode.

Geno.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.