March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my shop I have a single spindle duplicator and I like it very much. Does wonders for building a collection of patterns.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are 2 3D printers outside my office right now,...and coupled with a scanner they are a mind boggling piece of equipment but only if you want a plastic or composite stock,...unfortunately ( or fortunately) we like to have our stocks made out of nice wood, and that would require a pretty sophisticated 3 axis cnc with tool changer, and even that would not come close to replicating the subtleties required to feel your way through the cut on a 3K piece of walnut as a good hand guided duplicator can.

Joe Cole of Cole's gunsmithing was doing something similar,...I was told by the lady there he is back to doing it by hand, took too long the other way she said

Best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Since we've drifted a bit from Joe's original question to more of a "how dey do dat?" thread, I thought I'd post these pics from CSM again.

This first one is what I beleive is their hydraulically powered tracer mill (powered pantograph equiv) for one stock at a time. This machine is similar technology to TrueTrace and HydroTel mills I've used more than 3 decades ago. You can see the pattern and the stylus in the front position. The rear position is where the product would be. This type of machine appears to be a 4 axis; 1) left/right, 2) in/out, 3) up/down, 4) rotate pattern and product. The toolholder and cutting tool is not in the spindle in this pic.

The pictures below are of a 10 spindle machine that is CNC or DNC controlled. I beleive this machine was also 4 axis and was machining 20g RBL stocks at the time. Note that not all spindles are being used.

Just looking at the inletting/frame to stock shapes, you can tell the RBL was designed to be machine inletted from the start.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

my single spindle machine....it has since been further modified to do rough cutting automatically with just the last .100" or so on the outside and all the inletting done done by running the machine by hand.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

anybody have any experience with brian at this place?
great american gunstocks.
http://www.gunstocks.com

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 03/24/10 02:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl lippard / Joseph Brazier

http://www.josephbrazier.com/firearm-wood.php

Not so bad if they already have a pattern done, if they don't then mega money for engineering / drawing and code for your duplicate.

If you have a lot of "EXTRA" money lying around!!!!

I have seen a couple of examples in person and they are very nice,but not real cost effective for one off's unless you break stocks on a regular basis.

H&H

NOT A FAN OF PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dubbletrubble
anybody have any experience with brian at this place?
great american gunstocks.
http://www.gunstocks.com

Customer reports have been mixed over the years. I suggest you Google the phrase "Great American Gunstock" (with quotes) and make your own determination.

Best regards,
Peconga in Boise, Idaho

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve have you made a pattern for the 97wr we built? i am going to start on a blank unless you have a pattern made up.mc

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
I have 2 high condition original guns in the shop....too high of condition to put in the duplicator unfortunately. Maybe we can work out a deal. I can make the pattern to original specs and duplicate it. I have a trade in mind if your up for it.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve lets talk in a few months im kinda busy now but i am going to finish that damn thing this year. mc

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.