May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 685 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,638
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with everything you say rabbit save for the sniping. GB requires a 15 minute window between last bid and close of auction, making it impossible (from any method I know) to snipe an auction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're right, Hansli. Thinking of eBay. Sorry.

jack

WHY
do people always buy into the theory that new is better whenever
computer people tell them so?
If GA wanted to go anti-gun, they picked the right web designers!
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

If anyone at Guns America reads this I would greatly appreciate you telling me how to go to say Parker or Winchester shotguns and see the newest listings. I know you are in the debugging stage but this is ridiculous. Once you get on a category and click on an enlargement I try to get back to the main list by clicking back. It won't take me back to the original list. I am very frustrated. Guns America was the best way to look up guns with the old format. I would appreciate any comments that can shed light on how to navigate this new format.

According to their current post, "they", "can't go back"!!! What a crock, they have some new "PR" dude starting tomorrow to "help" them. It wasn't broken but they "fixed it". Tried to register for the simple one time $7.95 fee and they have taken me to the $19.95/month level and they have no way of correcting their mistake! Think it is time ICC entered the picture for "Fraud". IMO "they" really screwed the pooch. Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went to their site several times and had little luck. So, I registered which required my FFL number and my bank card number. Then I sent them an email (after the site did not respond ) that if, by noon tomorrow , they do not respond, both agencies will be informed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Bill,if they have taken me to the higher level (rather than the one time payment) thank them. As, after I get through with them, I will be able to afford many high dollar guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill Hambidge
According to their current post, "they", "can't go back"!!! What a crock...

From the GA site:
Quote:
Thousands and thousands of buyers use GunsAmerica to track down guns and gun accessories. Also, thousands of people and companies use GunsAmerica to sell their guns. When we had all our beta users hit the new site to see what would happen under load, things looked okay. This is about when the fun began- so many users began to crash the servers fairly soon after launch so we did the following:

1. We began to shut down some of the more server intensive features
2. We immediately put in orders for more hardware
3. We started double checking settings and code to see if something was missed
4. Overwhelming requests from you, our clients, prompted us to dismiss our designer in favor of redesigning our “look,” and we
5. Began to individually answer or address as many user comments as we could.

I could write pages about what they have done wrong from an IT perspective. They did not do their due diligence for this upgrade.

They should have had a back out plan in the event of failure. To do this is no more difficult that creating the appropriate system backups (testing them) and then securely storing them.

It is obvious the load (number of users) has not increased, so the problem is software related.

Load testing is not done by beta testers. It is done with the appropriate software only after a testing plan has been written that incorporates multiple scenarios. Beta testers are used to find software / gui bugs and report them. However, you can not perform a load test on a production server without interrupting service, so you must have testing servers available.

Their stated solution is to throw more hardware($$$) at bad software to make it work correctly. They may in fact do this, but they are sawing off the branch they are sitting on when they do.

Just an FYI, it should take them at least a week to procure the new servers, install, configure and test them. So this situation will continue. Their worst case will occur if the new hardware does not provide a fix. Then they will be stuck with unnecessary hardware and still face a software bug hunt.

If they have a CIO (Chief Information Officer) his/her job should be very much on the line at this point. Certainly any Project Manager involved should have been terminated by now. It is obvious they are not producing any revenue. For a small business they have some major IT bills coming with no (or impared) income flow.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with PeteM. I've also been nvolved with these types of upgrades for many years....hiring a PR person is like putting lipstick on a pig..
Unfortunately we all are experiencing a small company meltdown that GA may never recover from...at a minumum they will be out of business for months and if/when they come back they will have an immediate cash problem so their fees will need to be more aggressive... sad, I really liked that site the way it was.......

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amateurs.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.