April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (earlyriser, eightbore, Argo44, Karl Graebner, dogon, 1 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,130
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: joelblack88

This is a poor photo from the dawn of the digital camera age of a Hoffman single shot I used to own.

Before Hoffman made their own single-shot they offered the .22 target on both the Ballard and the Martini. Do you remember the barrel number or could you put me in touch with the current owner.

I'm about done with my Hoffman Falling Block article and could use info on the rifle you had.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, wasn't some of the Kirk stockwork by a lady?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mkbenenson
Michael, wasn't some of the Kirk stockwork by a lady?

Yes the daughter of David,
1878 at the age of twelve, William Kirkwood apprenticed to his father, David, and it was not long before William became a fine workman. David Kirkwood died in March of 1897 and William and his sister Margaret (Parks) ran the shop under their father’s name until 1902 when the name was changed to Kirkwood Brothers. A brother named Horace worked for a time at the shop, then left the gunmaking business and moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Margaret was a accomplished trap shot and a friend of Annie Oakley. A.O. Niedner in an interview in 1954 referred to Margaret Parks as a good stockmaker; when and what kind of stockmaking she did I have not learned. By the time the 1903 Springfield was starting to be sporterized, shotguns to order were no longer being made at the Kirkwood shop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Originally Posted By: joelblack88

This is a poor photo from the dawn of the digital camera age of a Hoffman single shot I used to own.

Before Hoffman made their own single-shot they offered the .22 target on both the Ballard and the Martini. Do you remember the barrel number or could you put me in touch with the current owner.

I'm sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember who got that one from me, but at a guess, I'd say Jim Goergen. I'm afraid I don't remember the barrel number.

I'm about done with my Hoffman Falling Block article and could use info on the rifle you had.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc

That would have been David the father and possible one or two of the kids but yes, the same family. Their shop in Boston was open for 99 years.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I want to shoot the Kirkwood so I removed some of the thin wood so it will not split out over the side mount.

It has also stopped taking linseed oil and beginning to look like a Kirkwood should.

Bigger Picture

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took No. 3 to the range this morning and set up at 100-yards. After nine shots with me moving the Noske mount back and forth not a single bullet on the target so I moved the target to 50-yards.

I only brought twenty rounds so at 50 I did a good bore sight fired one and tighten down the adjustment which moved the group a little bit to the left. I then fired three with the Lyman 48 and the last four with the express sight.

Great trigger at 3lbs-8oz, Kirkwood installed a little plate in the trigger-guard that takes the slack out of the two-stage.

I was surprised that I even hit the plate with the express sight. The sights need to be moved about a foot closer to the front grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,
There is a simple solution. Sell all your US made rifles with open sights and buy British rifles with wide Vs. smile Seriously For some strange reason I can still see them and and can not use any other form of open sight anymore. Its a good thing so many old US made rifles came with tang and receiver sights.

Last edited by joelblack88; 06/17/10 05:29 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That would solve many problems wink

I have a half-stock muzzle-loader and my Remington-12 .22 that I've had since I was a kid. I think these are the only rifles that I have with just a rear barrel sight.

Last year a friend stopped by with a new custom rifle by Lon Paul. The rear sight was about at the forend tip, nice and clear sight picture and a rifle I could shoot.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.