April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (j7l2, FlyChamps, cpa, Gunning Bird, Ted Schefelbein), 449 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#194388 07/03/10 05:40 AM
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How realistic is striking 2-4 oz's off a set of barrels? I have no idea (because I've never done it) is that a 4 hour job, an 8 hour job, or longer? Not talking taking the barrels apart, striking the barrels and then relaying the ribs. Just striking the top/side/bottom (I guess). Figure some of those on this forum have certainly done it to remove deep pits, reduce barrel weight etc. Thanks and Happy 4th.

foxes rule
tut #194409 07/03/10 10:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am doing something related to this right now.
The honest answer to your query is, "I don't know", unless you take alot of measurements, and then figure out the volume of material that your barrels can safely have removed.
That's the honest true answer.
Whether someone else accomplished this, unless you have their barrel measurements to compare to yours, is not safely reliable.
Safety first in all shotgun things.

I am re-profiling a set of Ithaca Flues 32" FxF barrels to the approximate profile of a pigeon gun from 1920.
The maximum answer should not be determined by target barrel weight.
The answer should be determined by safety (minimum wall thickness) and then swing dynamics.

We know a great deal about barrel machining, and we we know that historically, the limiting factor was the combined effect of concentricity and wall thickness.

This is how I am proceeding with my "Chicken Gun" barrels.
I started with measuring the barrels. I had a local machine shop do this for me.
They laid out off of an imaginary line central to the bores. They provided me with concentricity, and wall thickness measurements at every inch, starting 5" from the breech. I elected 3 points at each segment. Top, side, and bottom.
That information drawn lifesize on a piece of roll paper showed me what I have for each tube.

My plan, before I was hospitalized, was to recontour the barrels to the shape of an H&H pigeon gun. I have the wall thickness measurements (sans concentricity measurements)of a nice example, and wanted to see if I could produce similar handling dynamics from an old Fluesie.
In the measurements, I found that my original barrels were bored approximately round, were relatively concentric, and that they showed areas where impact had altered concentricity. (repaired dents)

The next step is to choose surface grinding or filing to produce the taper. I believe surface grinding will get me closest, fastest, but there is something about the slip of the file.

My illness has delayed my next efforts, but I should be done with it by Sept.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably 2-3 hours,but I would be shocked if over 1-2 oz would be removed if it is a heavy barrel and deeply pitted.Some of the ones I have struck had metal removed only in grams.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones, Would you characterize your work as "cosmetic" or working toward a different profile ?
Unlike rifle forums, we don't see alot of threads on this aspect of shotgun modification and repair here.

I'd like to buy a set of 20ga tubes from PeterDyson if this project works out.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cosmetic for me to prepare for browning or blueing

Sidelock
Sidelock

A mathematician better than I could sit down and calculate the mass of removed metal using a calculator or some paper and ink. Maybe someone could figure that out for Tut. Since the wall thickness and outside diameter varies along the barrel, the calculations should probably be done in four inch sections. If the wall thickness is fairly even for the last 18 inches or so, it may be easier to take metal from the inside rather than the outside and hand strike the thicker breech section on the outside. A 20 gauge Fox gun should be able to lose quite a bit of thickness at the breech since 16 gauge barrels are fitted to the same action. The breech balls could be reduced to match the struck barrel breeches.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tut, check out the stock and forearm on the Turner shotgun, gunsinternational.com item #100097211.

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Tut, check out the stock and forearm on the Turner shotgun, gunsinternational.com item #100097211.

Now that is unusual indeed. That would certainly lighten the front end for sure.

foxes rule
tut #194445 07/03/10 05:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

weight reduction from striking the outside seems like a lot of work. Buy a different gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming a lot. Iron,490lbs/cu.ft--4.5oz/cu.in,open circumference average (12 ga) --2in.; length --30 in.Then for each .001 in. removal--.06 cu.in or about .25 oz/barrel.So,to get 1 oz, both barrels need to lose .002 in. open area full length.That is if I kept all the decimals in the right place."Damm the decimal point" said the engineer as the bridge fell down.Chuck H is the cautious engineer,just get a different bridge.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.