May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Canvasback13, Chad Linder, Lawrence Kotchek, cable, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 296 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,550
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#195020 07/09/10 07:10 AM
Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Need advice on how and what to re-finish on a Jeffery 32" BLNE 3 inch chambered shotgun.

See this thread for pics of gun.
Jeffery Info

Some more pics.

At first glance I thought of three things,
Re-blue the barrels
Clean the rust and gunk from action
Re-finish stock in oil finish

Request the experts to please answer the questions,
What kind of blueing is recommended?
How the rust and pitting removed before blueing?
As apparent, case colors are gone long ago and cant be re-done here, polishing the action with buff wheel wont be damaging anything yes/no?
How to clean the rust on action? Could a rust remover used?
Could I use brass brush to clean rust?
Should any coating be applied on action after cleaning?
How the excess oil is removed from stock?
Should the checkering retouched after stock finishing or before it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi there, answers below. I'm one for light restoration myself.

I've got a very similar gun, cased,20 bore, 1911 which I've fully restored.

If you want to see what I have done and how then the easiest way to explain is point you at my blog;

http://www.vintageshotgun.com

From there you can see that I had the barrels reblacked. I think boxlocks look great recoloured. Again I'm attempting to do that myself with a kiln first on a couple of old actions I've been given from my friendly guns shop.

For the stock, nitromorse works brilliantly,the soak and the steam the dents out...I'll stop...take a look at my blog smile. Happy to help with any specific questions either here or PM me.

What date is your gun?
Regards,
Tony

Originally Posted By: Saad
Need advice on how and what to re-finish on a Jeffery 32" BLNE 3 inch chambered shotgun.

See this thread for pics of gun.
Jeffery Info

Some more pics.

At first glance I thought of three things,
Re-blue the barrels
Clean the rust and gunk from action
Re-finish stock in oil finish

Request the experts to please answer the questions,
What kind of blueing is recommended?
How the rust and pitting removed before blueing?
As apparent, case colors are gone long ago and cant be re-done here, polishing the action with buff wheel wont be damaging anything yes/no?
How to clean the rust on action? Could a rust remover used?
Could I use brass brush to clean rust?
Should any coating be applied on action after cleaning?
How the excess oil is removed from stock?
Should the checkering retouched after stock finishing or before it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What ever direction you take hire a professional to do the work.....it would be a shame for this gun to have survived this long only to be screwed up by some amateur gun jockey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saad:
Before you do ANYTHING to this gun, please consider your personal abilities. By your questions, I must assume you've got little experience in double gun restoration. Even the disassembly of this gun for a decent strip-&-clean should be undertaken with a measure of skill.

If you can do that without bodgering up the screws and wood, then I'd scrub all the metal surfaces with 0000 steel wool wet with bore solvent (or kerosene) to remove the rust, take the dirt and gum off the wood with a rag judiciously damp with mineral spirits, send the barrels OUT for a standard reblack, reassemble, and enjoy the gun.

Otherwise, study much, practice on something that doesn't matter, and try this one in a year or two.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saad- You have a very nice shotgun.
Here is my rule for restoration work.

First, Do no harm.
Others have already suggested on what to do with the barrels.

Here are my unsolicited remarks concerning the woodwork.
It took 100 years to get the patina on that stock. Clean it gently, maybe steam out a deeper dent, but mostly, Leave it alone.

100 years of use put a lot of stories in that stock. Enjoy them when you look at it. You may, after cleaning it, desire to rub/buff it a little with a soft cloth. Maybe a little paste wax. Not much else. It looks well maintained. Don't spoil that.

Scrubbing the rust off (as previously described) is of course, just good maintainence.

Remember, first do no harm.

Just my 2 cents.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clean it up, remove the rust, fix any mechanical issues and leave it alone.

No reblacking, recutting, or refinishing on anything.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

....and don't shoot heavy 3 inch loads out of it or you'll rattle it apart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second what Joe says. It would doubtless have been proved for the English 3" cartridge of that period and proofed at 1 1/2 ounce. 2 3/4" Magnums are usually o.k. and withing its capabilities modern 3" stuff are probably beyond it. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ain't worth it. That gun is too plain jane. It's nice, but the work will cost far more than it's worth.

Check out this Cashmore:

http://www.cherrys.com/stokpics/23060fox.jpg

http://www.cherrys.com/stokpics/23060fox_5.jpg

It's all original, 2 3/4", 1 1/4oz gun with 32" bbls.

Plenty of condition, ejectors, nice long stock.

Price - $1595, and you could probably talk them down.

Put the "restoration" money into this gun and then you'll have two. Probably cost you less, too.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

That Cashmore is the result of doing all that he inquired about the wrong way.
It looks like a Huglu. An over buffed Huglu.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.