April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Owenjj3, obsessed-with-doubles, skeettx, SKB, 1 invisible), 604 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,105
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
reesq Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for all of the responses. Having gone back and looked over all of the pictures and comments posted on delivered guns on a few of the major shotgun BBSs, a few observations seem to stand out. First, there was clearly a small minority of folks that simply had unrealistic expectations. But that’s to be expected and I can easily discount those posters. Second, despite the production delays and protests to the contrary, at this point there still seems to be a significant quality control issue at CSMC. Typically, this would lead me to take a wait and see attitude, and wait until my gun was delivered to see where it comes up on the quality scale.

The comments/concerns posted by Chuck, however, quite frankly worry me the most because he has been at the forefront of this issue and has been one of the most level headed and practicable voices throughout. So my question to Chuck is, echoing Mike’s sentiments, how many guns have you had the opportunity to examine in hand to cement your concerns? In my mind, the checking is the least of my concerns because if received a gun with the type of checking that you described, I would immediately send it back to be corrected/redone or return the gun at that time. The engraving is clearly more troublesome, because there is no easy fix if it is executed poorly. Now I may in the minority, but quite frankly I never really thought the engraving would be as nice as in the advertised RBL picture, but by the same token, I don’t expect it to look like a stamped job on some sub $2K O/U. Ken, have you had the opportunity to actually examine any sample in hand?

I was pretty good at sitting back and ignoring the fuss for a long time. The problem with too much time, however, is that you start to over think everything, and in that regard I am particularly guilty.

Last edited by reesq; 01/10/07 01:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

While typing this, I'm on the line with CSM (on hold) to cancel the order.

I have held in hand one production gun and all three or four prototypes. The prototypes looked fine in terms of fit and finish. The one production gun had the obvious malfunction of the checkering machine and had been gone over again. The engraving was buffed over and rounded/washed.

Two customers had ordered "Turkish exhibition". Neither had any black marbling and frankly, looked more like a nice upper-mid grade fiddleback Claro with golds and reds. Not bad, but not what I expected when I ordered and paid $700 for. I did see and photographed at least two Turkish stocks in process for the RBL that I would have been happy with.

But what final issue that caused me to cancel was more the answer that Lou gave one of the customers when he inquired about the wood. This combined with the quality issues, led me to believe that I was going to get whatever they decided I should get, as opposed to what I believe I was led to expect. The risk of waiting another 6 months or more (deposit only 9/29/05) for something that bothered me just didn't seem worth it. I know, a $1k deposit...why not just wait and see what you get? Too much emotional apprehension for me to sustain for that long and with too much risk of being very disappointed. If I knew the gun was within weeks of delivery, I might have waited for what Forest Gump said "...like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get." I needed to move on.

I hope those that recieved their guns and those that will recieve them in the future are happy with them and they have no issues.

BTW, I completed the phone call to cancel my order.

I had issues with the finish on the stock. CSMC was helpful first two times. Third time Lou told me I could keep it "as is" or return it for a refund. I returned it. Incidentally Chuck H saw some pictures of problems with fit and finish.

Tom McDevitt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reesq, just caught your post ---- I have already had a few come thru the shop and have to say I am dissapointed in the engraving. There have been three request for me to recut the scroll but I have refused to do so. Reason, the cost (IMHO) would far out weigh any advantage received from re-cutting the etched/lazer burnt lines / I wouldn't do it for myself IF I owned one. . One potential client said Tony offered him the gun with no engraving in the white --- another guy is discussing having the engraving polished off and reengraved to his taste. The gun in itself looks to be a pretty decent piece. Hope this helps, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the people who are complaining are the ones who think
they are getting A $25,000 gun for $2800. PDD

pittypatdugan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might have expressed it a bit differently PDD, but there is a lot of truth in the impact of unrealistic expectations. I just purchased a new 28 bore Rizzini with "hand Chased" machine engraving, "high grade" Turkish walnut, and a "hand finished" oil finish, and laser cut checkering. This is an elegant little gun at about the same price point as an RBL. It's fit and finish seems to be about what we are seeing in the RBLs - Burnt checkering, proud wood, machine engraving, etc. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a Fabri. Ergo, if we are expecting to buy a $2500-3500 gun, I suspect that the vast majority of us will be quite pleased. If we are expecting to take delivery of a Purdy then I am confident we will be unhappy. Personally, I am looking forward to my $3 grand gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SS #198 came out fine. Case colors are subtle, which is fine by me. Checkering is regular - obviously machine cut, but no screw-ups. I'm well satisfied with mine.

For some reason when this gun is in my hands and my dogs are out front I have no issues with thin engraving and bad checkering. But hey, that's just me.

Last edited by Mark Copeland; 01/10/07 09:29 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, I suppose if I ordered one and was sure I was getting one like yours I'd be ok.

The problem is not knowing what you are going to get after a looooong wait.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: reesq

Now I may in the minority, but quite frankly I never really thought the engraving would be as nice as in the advertised RBL picture, but by the same token, I don’t expect it to look like a stamped job on some sub $2K O/U.

As opposed to a $2.5K SxS? Compare oranges to oranges.

The base price for the RBL was $2500 if paid up front and I believe $2800 if you didn't. Any more money spent was put into options, of which the engraving was not one. Take away the cost of the case and accessories and there's not really much of a difference, if any, in cost between the two.

The only pictures of production guns I've seen have looked fine. I've handled some prototypes and they also looked fine. Can someone post pictures of a gun with bad engraving or bad checkering?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.