March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, Licensed to kill, Karl Graebner, bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel), 897 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, What stock grade did you order? Great looking by the way.... Thanks for your great photos!
Originally Posted By: Mark Copeland

For some reason when this gun is in my hands and my dogs are out front I have no issues with thin engraving and bad checkering. But hey, that's just me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun Mark. I wish I could own one that nice. I still think they are good guns. I just can't stand to play roulette and end up with one like my friend's. Yours obviously doesn't have any of the things I saw on the one production gun I had in hand.

With regard to what I expected, I went to the factory and saw guns in various stages of completion and they checkered a forend while we were there. I expected my friend's gun to look like that. It didn't. My post is not intended to offend those that have RBLs or hope to have them. I'm just posting what I saw.

BTW,
I went another direction with the RBL money. I hope to have it in hand by the end of next week.

reesq Offline OP
OP Offline

Recoil Bob, To clarify, when I meant sub $2,000, I guess I was really comparing the engraving on something like a Franchi to the engraving on my B. Rizzinis. In my mind, the engraving on the Franchis I have seen are substantially inferior to the Rizzinis, which I put in the same general price category as the RBL. Now, going one step further, in my mind the engraving on the Rizzinis are adequate, not great, but adequate and represent the minimum level that I expect on the RBL. I had certainly hoped, that given Tony’s reputation, the engraving would be better than my Rizzinis, but I would not be overly disappointed if it was equal (after all, hope does spring eternal). Perhaps I’ve been spoiled because may of the guys I shoot with have high-end guns with spectacular hand engraving so I am somewhat jaded, but not so jaded that I don’t recognize the difference between a $2-3K gun and a $25K+ gun. BTW, nice looking gun Chuck...details...

Last edited by reesq; 01/10/07 11:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

next week, reesq,... more next week.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with pittypat (how in the heck did you ever get a name like this? You guys buying these RBLs have to keep in mind a few issues- the same way I looked at the project when I first saw the ad way back when....... A nice piece of Claro Walnut ALONE- for just a blank is going to run in the neighborhood of two grand. Or a lot more. Price them- you'll see. Take the rest of the project from there (add $500.00) and think about it. Or you can look at it another way- for $2500.00 you are going to be getting a gun that is equal to a Gold Label PLUS $500.00. You are going to end up with a $2500.00 gun. Nothing more- nothing less. I am not saying you are getting a good gun or a bad one. But you are going to get a new $2500.00 gun. At least this is the way I looked at it when they first started taking orders: "Do I want a new gun that is going to be $500.00 better than a Gold Label?" Or, "Do I want a gun that the wood alone will cost over $2000.00 and the rest of the gun is only going to have $500.00 in it?" That was always my POV, anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A decent blank of Claro for $2k!?

I think you can get spectacular English for $2k. Though extremely nice, none of the guns that I have seen photos of so far have $2k/blank wood on them in my opinion. Not even close.

I would expect that a shotgun with a base price of $2500 would be pretty darn nice gun with decent fit, finish, and checkering (even though machined). I don't get the impression that anyone here was expecting a gun of a quality worth an order of magnitude more.

I prefer old guns, but the guns that folks are showing pictures of sure like quite fine to me. Very fine as a matter of fact and I would say they are worth what the quoted prices have indicated. I have yet to see any photos of the problem guns so it's impossible to make judgement about what some folks are calling "disappointing" or "unacceptable".

And two year waits are nothing - and broken delivery time promises are the rule, not the exception, in the gun world. Not long ago, a Shiloh Sharps, or a Mecham Highwall were 5+ yr waits.Now a Shiloh is "only" 18 months - the Mecham, probably 7 yrs. Heck I've been waiting on my barrel promised in "just" 16 wks. That was back in mid September. A semicustom gun takes time and lots of it.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys I don't have any pics of my friend's gun. He lives 100 miles from me. I talked him into buying the RBL from a seller off this website. I am not particularly anxious to point out the flaws of the gun to him and publically disrobe his gun. I had thought of asking to borrow it and drag it up to Vegas and ask CSM about it at the show. I'm sure if asked about it over the phone, they would not even want to talk to me or my friend about fixing it.

If I get a chance, I'll try to shoot some pics. It may be months before I see the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the wood I have seen is not that great. It is OK, but you can do much better buying a blank on your own. I do price them almost weekly and have my (very) little stash of walnut. it is more like a $200-450 blank I am seeing on the RBL's, depending on the gun.

I am not knocking the guns in any way at all-just saying the above comparison seems out of whack with what I see.

Of course I would love to be wrong. If I am, then I am selling several sticks of English next week!!!

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure Marc. Then go take that exhibition grade 500 buck blank and see what it will cost you to turn it into a fitted stock on the SxS of your choice. And I almost forgot, see how long that stockmaker takes to create that new handle. Jeez guys, its a NIB 3 grand gun with a remarkable number of options which are never available in that price range...... Nothing more, but certainly nothing less. But do please keep cancelling those orders; my gun moves further up in the que.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy W was not saying any labor was involved, the blank alone cost that much in his observations of monitoring current blank prices. He was very clear on that point, as was I in pointing out my observations were quite different from his. I also said if he saw where folks were paying that price for the quality of wood shown, I would sell several blanks next week.

As for the labor, I know that I personally would not stock it for $2k labor. Every one has their price point for their work, and mine is above that.

I am not really sure how you could get confused by our posts, but obviously it did happen. I am sorry that I was not more clear. Seriously, I am sorry I did not do a better job of making the point the first time. Perhaps I ahould have included his words in quotes. I honestly feel bad because it seems I have upset you.

and again, let me say none of my post was a knock on the gun in any way shape or form. I was just saying the quoted was radically different from anything I have seen.

skunk out
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.