May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ClapperZapper, L. Brown, Jimmy W, Marks_21, Mills, 1 invisible), 618 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,593
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, I still cry myself to sleep over losing that one...I remembered the Smeets signature on the first and I also saw that the second one had a different engraver but i cannot remember the name. I had Abe Chaber look over the gun and he said it was nice as any he'd seen. We especially loved the accompanying tools in the case, just a lovely set!

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:
As of this evening, I have foresaken my spirit's attachement to all things Eartherial. Including Boodles and tonic. I now worship Steven Dodd Hughes. And Toledo Steel, of course.

Jokingly, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, you wrote:
"Bob,
Hire me to photograph them and I'll do my very best to get them published.
You must also have a well written, good story, but magazines run on quality photography."

Steven, Let me understand this.
The Shooting Sportsman Magazine article reports the 17 finished Holland & Holland Sidelocks that their advertiser acquired, completely leaving out, ignoring the other three finished 16's that were part of the same collection, but acquired by private parties above all of the other available 12 gauge guns that their advertiser eventually acquired. The magazine was made aware; they do not want to correct their omission or tell the whole truth, saying they don't feel their readers would be interested.

You say: "I" should hire you? "I" would need a well written good story?

Is there something, anything at all "proper" about that? Was I asleep in my Journalistic Ethics class the day that concept was discussed?

I am sorry, but I am of another opinion; that being that a Magazine such as Shooting Sportsman, has, by unwritten agreement with their readers and advertisers, a responsibility, a basic, easy to understand fundamental responsibility to put forth fully truthful, fully complete, information.

Please, don't get me wrong for a minute, for I can write a well-written good story, especially with some help if and where I might need it, and, I can afford to hire someone very good, such as yourself to do the photography.

But also, please don't try to pretend that you don't also understand my point that it is the responsibility of Shooting Sportsman to do.

It is their responsibility to their advertisers who surely expect honest, completely truthful information be provided to their readers so that those people, the you and I's who read their articles expecting that they will be factual, complete, completely factual, so that they continue to buy, and subscribe. It is their responsibility to their readers and subscribers. And, if you think about it, is it not their responsibility also to the gunmakers themselves; the craftsman who hour by hour plied their trade producing the very items that we hold so dear and makes the magazine possible at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob Rowley’s Experience
Executive Director, Government and Community Relations
Elmhurst College
(Educational Institution; Higher Education industry)

August 2009 — Present (1 year )

Advocate for the College in Chicago, nationally and globally. Also lobby specifically for the college, its students and higher education issues in Springfield and Washington. And help promote the Elmhurst Experience, a contemporary framing of liberal learning that seeks to educate the the whole person for a life in global society--in the tradition of Reinhold and Richerd Niebuhr, who were among our prominent founders.

Independent Writer, Editor, Speaker, Teacher
journalism and communications work
(Newspapers industry)

April 2009 — August 2009 (5 months)

Wrote opinion pieces, lectured on journalism, did radio commentary.

National Editor
Chicago Tribune
(Public Company; TRB; Newspapers industry)

2002 — 2009 (7 years )

Managed a staff of correspondents in bureaus around the nation and in the DC bureau, as well as source/copy editors in Chicago, preparing the daily and Sunday national reports and covering and analysing national news, cultural trends, politics, disasters, economics, projects, and national presidential elecitons--including the rise and election of Barack Obama.

Narional Editor, Editorial Board, Correspondent
Chicago Tribune Media Group
(Newspapers industry)

1979 — 2009 (30 years )

D.C., National, & Foreign correspondent, & Editorial writer
Chicago Tribune
(Public Company; TRB; Newspapers industry)

1979 — 2002 (23 years )

Served as White House and Pentagon Correspondent based in Washington, D.C. (1982-85), National Correspondent based in Dallas (1985-86), Latin America Correspondent based in Mexico City (1986-89), Canada Correspondent and roving foreign correspondent to world hotspots, based in Toronto (1989-94), Middle East Correspndent based in Jerusalem and Cairo (1994-98), Editorial Writer for foreign affairs and national security issues, based in Chicago (1998-2002).

Newswriter
WIND Radio
(Broadcast Media industry)

1979 — 1979 (less than a year)

Write morning drive newscasts for Chicago's popular AM talk-radio station.

Assistant City Editor, Broadcast editor, beat reporter and rewrite
City News Bureau of Chicago
(Newspapers industry)

August 1976 — March 1979 (2 years 8 months)

Served as Assistant City Editor, Broadcast Editor, State of Illinois beat reporter, Rewrite Desk editor, and a reporter covering general assignment stories, politics, government, and crime at the legendary bootcamp of "Front Page" fame for young journalists in Chicago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Rowley’s Education
Harvard University
Arabic language 1994 — 1994

Activities and Societies: Studied Arabic for a summer before Middle East assignment.

I have also studied Spanish, French, and Arabic with tutors while based in Mexico City, Toronto, and Jerusalem.
Northwestern University
Newswriting and fiction writing courses 1977 — 1978

Activities and Societies: Non degree professional training.
Harvard University
Honors BA , English and American Literature and French Language , 1972 — 1976

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Information
Bob Rowley’s Websites:
My Company
Bob Rowley’s Interests:
Higher Education, foreign affairs, politics, traveling, photography, skiing.

Bob Rowley’s Groups:
Overseas Press Club
Harvard Club of Chicago
National Press Club
Society of Professional Journalists
Belmont Hill School alumni

Belmont Hill Alumni
Harvard University Alumni
Tribune Alumni Network (TAN)
Newspaper Professionals Network
The Overseas Press Club of America
Bob Rowley’s Honors:
2005 Templeton Prize for Religion Story of the Year, for a Tribune series on the struggle for the soul of Islam. My part was a piece on a young Hamas suicide bomber with a bright future who chose hatred and death, revealing a transformation of Gaza into a breeding ground for terror against Israel.

1996 Finalist for the Pulitzer Prize, and 1996 Overseas Press Club’s Madeline Dane Ross Award for the best foreign reporting showing a concern for the human condition, for a Tribune’s series, “Gambling with Life,” on why people have children they can’t afford to raise. My part was about a family in Gaza who raised their kids to be ‘martyrs’ against Israel. This series also won the 1996 Peter Lisagor Award from the Headline Club, Chicago Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.

1991, 1996 and 1998 - Tribune in-house Edward Scott Beck Award for foreign reporting.

1986 National Semifinalist in the Journalist-In-Space Project to be the first reporter in space.

Sidelock
Sidelock

philmurphy,
Who are you? How do you know the person who is the subject of your post?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Rowley

philmurphy,
Who are you? How do you know the person who is the subject of your post?

I don't mean to speak on behalf of philmurphy but I found the same information quite easily. It's called Google and the internet.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

canvasback, the question isn't where he located the information.

philmurphy, who are you? How do you know the person who is the subject of your post?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone think the following Heinrich Barella peddled example originally was sourced from Theophile Britte??

Barella

Britte

Christophe

After Henri Pieper's death in 1898 sources give that the firm exclusively used Siemens Martin steel, so I wonder if they were sourced for tubes. PeteM can correct me, but it appears about this time that the Belgians were churning out about 1.5 million barrels a year.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, if you have access to the ejector forend, Britte produced guns often have their stamp there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Mr. Hallquist and I'm on it like stink on a monkey. I don't know if they will remove the forend or not. Has anyone located an image of the EB trademark? I'm leaning toward the Bte. being something similar to Brevete but more like a registered tradename.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.