April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Parabola), 1,118 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,171
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

This guy may not have any doubles but he knows how to run an auction. I wish a few over at GB would take notice.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctio...p;af=0&ag=8

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
This guy may not have any doubles but he knows how to run an auction. I wish a few over at GB would take notice.

I usually keep an eye on his auctions. He had a nice Bernardelli Italia hammer gun with 30" barrles and I foolishly let it go.
Sometimes, part of getting a good price on auction is getting people get into a bidding frenzy. And penny auctions will usually do it... but not always. I have seen penny auction bring very high prices but I have also seen them bring incredibly low prices... just depends on the gun and how many people want it.

The AA Derby I sold for $1850 had something like that happen. I listed the gun for $1250 originally. It was listed for week and generated a good bit of interest but it went unsold. I then relisted it for $1100 and I got bids immediately... then I got some more and then some more again. And it ended up selling for $1850. The first time it was listed, a lot people were watching it but nobody acted. When it relisted and got a bid, buyers started bidding because they didn't want to lose it and they got into a bidding war. I've done it myself and, a time or two, I paid too much for the gun because it... but hey, its only money. We can always earn more of it!

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I too have watched this guy at times and I agree he certainly knows how to run an auction. But just as important is the quality of the firearms he offers for sale. How he continues to regularly get merchandise of this quality would be interesting to learn. Anyone know who "Jack The Dog" really is?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't care who he is. Michael has outed "my seller" who I mentioned in an earlier post. He never has a reserve, he starts his bidding at a penny, and never sells a gun at less than it is really worth. He has sold over 800 guns this year, mixes in interesting guns with not so interesting, but because of his sale tactics, thousands of buyers look at his stuff. Consequently, he never sells anything for less than it is worth. Thanks, Michael.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm skeptical that Mr. Dog is really selling every one of those guns. Maybe he is, maybe he ain't.

There's a seller on Ebay of machine tools - Reliable in LA, who has similarly astounding auction results. Even when guys who know machine tools are amazed at the high dollars he gets for crap.

In fact, he's attracted enough attention that people have gone out of their way to analyze several of his auctions - and proven beyond any doubt he is shill bidding his own stuff. Often, he sells items to himself, it would seem. People have complained to Ebay with solid proof but of course Ebay is not about to pursue action against a top seller.

I know I'm a lot older than most of you guys but I'll tell you something you learn in life....if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

is 97-98% 1964 browining 'safari grade' heavy barrel .300H&H with Browning 2-7x scope desirable? confused

PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Adam, I'll just send you my guns to sell.
Mike

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can understand the skepticism about a successful seller, but having thousands of people scanning your merchandise goes a long way to getting a low end fair price for everything. With tens of thousands of items listed on gun sites, the guy whose merchandise is looked at on a regular basis will be the one to get the worm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the following explained to me many years ago. In all fairness in comparing this seller with most other dealers seen on Auction Arms or Gunbroker, this particular seller is mostly a consignment dealer where he makes 15% (which he told me a couple years ago) on every gun sold. He did not have to purchase the vast majority of the guns he sells. Previous owners send the guns to him to sell. Whether he sells a gun for $100 or $10,000 he makes 15%. Most other dealers have to buy the guns that they are selling and then list them for resale in hopes of making a profit. Many times these dealers sell at a loss when they purchase a "hard sell". That makes a big difference in listing a gun starting at a $.01
True, the mentioned seller has built a reputation over many years and does an excellent job of presenting other people's guns for sale. By not having to search for guns like other dealers hoping to find guns that will sell at profit, he can concentrate his efforts in good photos and accurate descriptions. If every seller on Gunbroker switched to consignment only, they would go out of business in short notice. To further explain, if a seller on Gunbroker "buys" a gun at $1000, starts it at a penny and sells for $900 and he loses $100, that hurts. If the seller mentioned above sells the same gun for $900 he makes $135. Not paying for something to sell is usually a "win win" situation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
is 97-98% 1964 browining 'safari grade' heavy barrel .300H&H with Browning 2-7x scope desirable? confused

Uh------! I would think, yes! grin

Ole Cowboy
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.