March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: StormsGSP
Who has an Iver Johnson sleeved?

That's what I was thinking when I first saw it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen:
Finally. Homeless has struck upon the truth. Unknowingly. These guns were cheap guns, built to a price point. Thus, the cheap way to make such a double is to employ the monobloc method of joining barrels to a pre-machined breech section that includes lump, chambers, bites, etc. It's essentially the same process used in sleeving a good gun. The solder you see is a sloppy joint job. The knurled ring around the barrels was supposed to hide this plus a none-to-precise joint. SKB used the same process, and so did a range of others. As someone said, "who sleeves an Iver Johnson?" The answer is nobody.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I can see the monobloc joint, and now that I finally found out how to enlarge, can see the sloppy soldering job.

I wonder how much this would cost? Even for a gunsmith who does a less-than-outstanding soldering job, it can't be cheap. And I wonder if someone didn't put more money in this gun than it's worth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Genelang
OK, I can see the monobloc joint, and now that I finally found out how to enlarge, can see the sloppy soldering job.

I wonder how much this would cost? Even for a gunsmith who does a less-than-outstanding soldering job, it can't be cheap. And I wonder if someone didn't put more money in this gun than it's worth.

Just an fyi, that is not a monobloc joint. It is a sleeving. A monobloc requires a single piece of metal to be machined and fitted with barrels.

The sleeved Hercules. The seam is too far forward to be a monobloc.

If you look at other pictures of Hercules guns, you will see there is no joint.

A Beretta is a true monobloc. In this photo, you can just barely make out the seam above the hing.

I have no clue why some one would spend all that time and money to redo this gun.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. I've got a Winchester 23, which is a monobloc. I can see now how far forward that joint in the picture is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Monobloc = "one block". Model 21 is a chopper lump if I am not mistaken. I am willing to be corrected or educated if I am mistaken.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is a 23. Wish it were a 21.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, I misread your post.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Dovetail lump, NOT chopper lump, on a Model 21, by the way. Pete, thanks for posting the correction on monobloc vs sleeved. A true monobloc is stiffer and sturdier than any sleeved gun can be.

Come on, jOe, you thought that was legit? I've heard it all, now. Not surprising to me in the least that the world's "outmost forfeiter" would have it in inventory, either.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Truthfully Ted I didn't have a clue if the gun was original or not....only Iver Johgnson I've ever saw was a single shot.

I do think if the mono-block was so great English guns would have been built on it instead of mostly junk Belgium and French guns.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.