March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, SKB, Lloyd3, bushveld, Karl Graebner, Marc Ret), 850 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,022
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
7 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
tunes Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just finished up my first attempt at browning a set of barrels.
Husky Model 49.
Thanks to William Brockway for his very complete "how to" instructions and to Craig at Circle Fly and Jim Meili in McFarland , WI for all their help and encouragement.

Here's a "before" and a couple of "after" pictures.

You can right click and view image for a better picture.

tunes

Last edited by tunes; 07/27/10 12:25 PM.

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

First attempt? AWESOME. Great job, really excellent! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

..and gimme those instructions...look excellent smile

tunes Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tony,

Here is the copy I have:

William Brockway’s adaptation of Dr Gaddy's technique

As posted in DoubleGunBBS

1 - Polish the barrels to 400 grit or finer (400 is usually enough). If you have tested the barrels for pattern, using acid, this area will have to be polished bright again, before proceeding.

2 - Apply a diluted solution of Laurel Mountain Forge Browner and Degreaser (see below).

3 - Hang barrels in a warm, humid location until a coating of rust forms (may take 4 hours to overnight, depending on ambient temperature and humidity). I use a steam box, powered by a percolator bottom (for the water vapor), and a light bulb (for the heat).

4 - Dip rusted barrels in a 15% solution of Radio Shack circuit board etchant and water (I keep a capped piece of 3" PVC pipe as a dipping tank). Dip for no longer than 5 seconds (important)! That's 15% RS etchant (a solution of Ferric Chloride and water) and 85% water. I am lucky enough to live where the tap water is almost chemically pure. It may be necessary for people in other parts of the country to use distilled water.

5 - Immediately after dipping, flush barrels clean with a garden hose and lots of water. I do this outside my shop in the yard. It is important to stop the etchant from working any longer than 5 or 10 seconds.

6. - Card (scrub down barrels) with medium steel wool under water. This will make the pattern begin to appear.

7 - Repeat steps 2 through 6 until the barrels are dark enough to suit you. This may take a lot of passes, maybe as many as 8 or 10.

In step 2, dilute the LMF with 2 parts water for the 1st pass only. The next couple of passes can be 5 parts water to 1 part LMF. After that, the remaining passes can be 8 - 10 parts water to 1 part LMF. I no longer use the browner diluted any more than this. The dip in Radio Shack etchant serves to remove the rust from the white striations without affecting the brown striations.

If you prefer a black and white finish, boil the barrels for 5 minutes after step 6, each pass. Dr. Gaddy also used a logwood solution dip on his black-and-white barrels, which I haven't tried, yet. Logwood is a stain used by trappers to darken steel traps.

tunes

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats superb.many thanks.Just order 5 litres of Ferric Chloride here in the UK. Cheers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that if you want the black/white effect, you will boil barrels after step 3 for 5 minutes, then card, then dip in Ferric Chloride for 5 seconds, then flush with running water and card again. Continue to other steps after for desired finish.
I use a piece of old denim pants to card, works great.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Darn good for the first try, keep it up!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.