March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Brothers of the Gun Steel: Some Questions... Can a DOUBLE LEVER G&H Scope Mount be slid onto an earlier G&H SINGLE LEVER base and one of the two levers be ENGAGED IN THE BASE DIVOT WHILE THE SECOND IS LEFT IN THE NEUTRAL POSITION unengaged? Will it lock down firmly? Has anyone here ever done this and TRIED TO SIGHT IN THE RIFLE? IF SO, DID IT WORK [WAS IT ACCURATE? AND DID IT STAY ACCURATE OVER TIME? I have almost given up hope finding a single lever G&H mount, in good condition at a sane price. [I have the base already mounted on a gun] I have several G&H Double levers just sitting around with scopes already in them. The rifle is a beauty and belonged to Damon Runyon the writer of 'Guys and Dolls" AND I HAVE A GRANDSON ITCHING TO HUNT WITH IT.I just thought this might work ,but don't have a single lever[obviously!]to try this theory out. Also will a single lever Jaeger or other, fit on the base...probably not? Anyone with ideas, the deer season is coming up and my grandson ask almost daily...so speak up, I need help with this problem! Thanks Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, if the single-lever dovetail is the same size as the double-lever one then you're in business. Try one of the double-lever mounts on the single lever base and see how they match up; if the fit is snug then simply cut recesses for the 2 new-to-this-old-base levers. If the angles of the dovetails are the same but the heights/depths are different then some judicious trimming or shimming will probably do the trick just fine.

If the angles are different then you're SOL.

I have a Jaeger mount & base that I can send you for comparison of the dovetail sizes but please be advised that the Jaeger locking system is of course different and would almost certainly require machining your base for the Jaeger lock recesses. Not a big deal but it WOULD alter the rifle.

AND, it would be interesting to see how close the various G&H dimensions compare to the Jaeger ones, IOW how about further defining at least some level of interchange if possible?

If you'll PM me your snail addy I'll mail you the Jaeger parts for comparison; AFAIK all the Jaeger dovetails are the same size except maybe some prewar ones.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a single lever mount on a 99:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=187553&page=1

tried several double lever brackets on it, both early and late ... the early brackets have rounded end levers, the late ones are squared off. A few went on easily, most stuck partway.
One was loose. It seems clear to me that the brackets were hand fitted to the dovetail bases. Do not know if G&H does this today. Also tried a late Jaeger bracket. Did not go, but almost did. I think a little hand fitting would slide it on. Also of note, I have one extra single lever bracket, waiting for the next G&H rifle that shows up needing one. This also was recalcitrant about going onto the 99 single lever base. From all this I deduce that the "official" specifications for dovetail dimensions for both single and double lever mounts are the same, but that most of them require hand fettling.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for your efforts and response, Mark!

Just this morning I made a deal for several (~6) NOS Jaeger mounts and loose parts, it'll be interesting to see what's in the box when it arrives. The fellow described some of them as being for Mannlicher-Schoenauers....
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw a Savage 99F (I think F) with a single lever and a Zeiss Zielklein scope in it for $1750 on gunbroker. The single lever mounts go for $700 & up, and the scope would probably bring $350 (when you can find them) - so that would have you into a 99F, with holes right thru the engraving, for round $700.

Why not just take the single lever base off and install a complete double lever mount? I think you are going to have trouble getting a double lever top half to mount to a single lever base and perform like you want it to. My opinion.

Last edited by bsteele; 08/06/10 07:58 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

B. If you saw a 99F on Gunbroker it is either already gone or I can't find it using any combination of search terms! Item number? Thanks Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cant find it now. I just saw it in the last couple weeks. I went thru my browser history and dont see it anywhere. It was a scoll engraved 99 with a single lever G&H w/ Zielklein. Sorry.

Bryndon

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.