March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Bushmaster's notion that they may not have "the aura of those from companies that met a much earlier and swifter demise, e.g. Parker, Fox, and L.C. Smith." My notion is there's some peculiar psychology, more than looks and reliability, going on with Ithacas. There may be something of a nostalgic or romantic attachment to the companies that didn't linger. It baffles me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
I like Bushmaster's notion that they may not have "the aura of those from companies that met a much earlier and swifter demise, e.g. Parker, Fox, and L.C. Smith." My notion is there's some peculiar psychology, more than looks and reliability, going on with Ithacas. There may be something of a nostalgic or romantic attachment to the companies that didn't linger. It baffles me.

"Much Earlier and Swifter demise"......

Dusenberg and Cord, plus a multitude of other "high quality" cars and products did not survive the depression......can't understand how that "baffles" you..........?......Especially when you see the very "low" quality arms that survived these hard times, i.e. Savage made stamped out products etc. and even then just barely........The low end products always survive hard times more readily than quality/costly products due to their vast majority audience......just look at history for any product line.....very clear footprint indeed.........

No mystic psychology required there at all....."cheap sold----high dollar did not"....

LC Smith did, by the way, survive the depression as Hunter Arms until October of 1945... Marlin owned thereafter.....doubles were made until the Fulton, N.Y. factory flooring collapsed January 17, 1949, at which time double gun manufacture ceased....production guns on hand were assembled and sold through 1951 until the stock was depleted....Marlin had found that the "true double" LC Smith was too costly to produce....and yielded to cheaper production guns, as had all the others in this country.......

Without World War II, the entire firearms industry and the entire world economy would have been a very different animal indeed.........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Granted the depression and war changed the world, Doug, but using your examples perhaps owning a Dusenberg or Cord today may be preferable to other great cars of the period. I don't know.

Consider the premium on Parkers and the notion that Ithacas may be the last great buy. There's a lot more going on in demented consumerism than what's the best product for the mission. That's what baffles me.

I'm as demented as the rest because I wouldn't own an Ithaca if it was given to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Late to the thread here. I agree with those that hold the early Ithaca engraving in esteem, and I consider the NID an excellent design.

Step back and look at that picture. Art doesn't make the gun. All the while that wonderful engraving (and checkering!) was being applied, Ithaca was unrepresented among the professionals. Too, while you have to admire their fearlessness of starting with a clean sheet of paper and a new design every so many years, none of that speaks highly of their early guns. So when they arrive on the scene in the twenties with the excellent NID, it's like they are starting all over again without the benefit of the kind of reputation worn by the likes of Parker and Smith.

So, to answer the orignial question, yeah, they are a kind of last, heretofore underappreciated collecting niche that offers elements of design and art.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't own an Ithaca if it was given to me.

I'm with you and jOe on that one King............

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't say it was the last frontier for American doubles. The Remington 1900 and 1894s are priced way lower than they should be. They are on par for quality with any of the above mentioned IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a silly thing to say. The NID line is a great part of the American doubleguns and though not likely to ever be seen at some country club driven shoot by members driving up in a Cord or Duesy it was likely to be carried out for a day of pheasant hunting by my grandfather in his 1940 Ford Truck. So if you like the Duesys but someone today was going to give you a nice 1940 Ford, I guess you would tell them you wouldn't take that vehicle if it were given to you

Originally Posted By: PA24

I wouldn't own an Ithaca if it was given to me.

I'm with you and jOe on that one King............

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ithaca and LC Smith (under Marlin ownership) were the two makers of "quality" doubles that continued production after the war--although not for very long. They did continue their OU Model 90, which was more expensive than the cheap sxs, but less than the LC Field Grade or Fox Sterlingworth. And of course Winchester continued the 21 (and the 24, which outlived even all the less-expensive sxs, except Stevens and Fox B), although legend has it they lost money on every gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MJBilbo
This is a silly thing to say. The NID line is a great part of the American doubleguns

You may think so......and maybe in 75 years someone will worship Mossbergs too......

To each his own...

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few of the images that have been posted here over the last couple of years

Yes, the Ithaca's are under appreciated, under valued. But why hunt / shoot with an ugly gun, when these are available so cheaply compared to others?

Pete

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.