April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't own a LC Smith if someone gave it to me. Talk about a whacked design. The only gun I know of that most good stockmakers and some gunsmiths wont touch. Call Abe Chaber and ask him what he thinks of Smiths....then call Paul Hodgins and ask him what he thinks of Smiths...A Baker Batavia has more appeal to me than a Smith A-1. Elsies....can you say "overrated"??

Ithacas were never cheap guns. Take a look at the old catalogs and compare prices. Ithaca's were strong, somewhat simple and innovative (read up on the Flues lock time) and the engraving, wood work, etc were second to none. The checkering on mid and high grade Ithacas is a thing to behold and the engraving on the high grade guns....spectacular. The sculpting of the Crass action in grades 4 and above is art in itself. NID's are the best value out there in American double guns bar none. For some reason...I dont see anyone turning down a 4E or higher (especially a Sousa grade)Ithaca gun if it were being "given" to them. Gimme a break.

This is a pic of my 14 year old sons bird gun, a 16 bore, Ithaca NID, circa 1936, 6 lbs. 6 oz. 28" bbls. Used, but gently, insides are like new. I'm into this gun for right around a grand. Thanks Walt Snyder.

A couple of things the Remington 94's and 1900's don't have going for them is the shape of the action and the graded guns are hard to find and extremely rare. The action on a Remmy really is just a big bulky box. The guns are hell for stout, the internals nicely finished, but the actions are just not very appealing. I like em, have friends that own them, but they are just not for me.

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 08/07/10 01:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Got the matey for you boy's 30's NID, Dustin, (think it's '35) and I also was in for slightly under 1K$. (Did have a little bit of that all-important "condition" (residue of ephemera that the collectors desire). Anyone thinking of giving King Brown an Ithaca double and fearing rejection rest assured I will give your gun a home.

The "starting from scratch" hypothesis is interesting. Given American druthers in the same-old vs. startlingly new dept., you'd think the flirtation with "auteur" gunmaking would have appealed. Remington certainly liked "updates" and both makers were around in the 19th century so they must have had some success with the new model approach until the Depression truncated commercial expectations.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with you, Pete. They're enough to make a gun-lover drool. They're real guns with real Old World craftsmanship, to my eye faultless, deserving of being taken afield anywhere.

Like certain wonderful aircraft, women, motor vehicles, boats, outboards, tools, etc they just don't register with me. My guns are all pretty plain except for my Francotte, LC Specialty and Sauer.

Thanks for that post, Ithaca5e. I learn something every day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack O'Connor had very good things to say about them. Of course he also liked 21's, so you may question his taste. smile

Interesting that John Olin's company developed the 3 1/2" 10ga magnum shell . . . but, rather than making the big guns as Model 21's, with their reputation for strength, Olin went to Lou Smith at Ithaca. The first 10ga mags were NID's. Says something about the strength of the action.

Dustin, I've heard more than one wood guy cuss an Elsie. Interestingly, I was exchanging emails with one just the other day, and he had similar sentiments about the sideplated Lefevers.

Last edited by L. Brown; 08/07/10 05:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Really shabby work here, eh? A 1918 Sousa grade.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Originally Posted By: MJBilbo
This is a silly thing to say. The NID line is a great part of the American doubleguns

You may think so......and maybe in 75 years someone will worship Mossbergs too......

To each his own...

Teddy already does...

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you were interested in a decent shooter, with both modern stock dimensions and modern steel, the NID is perfect. Looks are a personal thing. Look at how many people marry ladies you would not be caught dead with or worse, who hunt with ugly dogs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Originally Posted By: King Brown

I wouldn't own an Ithaca if it was given to me.

I'm with you and jOe on that one King............

If anyone ever tries to give either of you guys one of those ugly Ithacas just send it to me. smile I love Ithaca doubles, but then again I'd take a '69 Charger or a '67 Corvette over a vintage Porche or Ferarri any day of the week. I actually think the NID indicator pin receiver is very handsome.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When compared to cars.....Even the high grade Ithaca's are more like'n to a dolled up '66 Rambler.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never actually gone out of my way to buy an Ithaca double, but at one time, last year, ended up owning 3 of them. Hunted em all, liked em all but didnt keep any of them. Amarillo Mike wanted to buy the 32" ejector gun, but was too slow on the draw.....THAT one, I wish I'd kept...

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.