May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Kolar Dickson, SKB, Jusanothajoe, R. Glenz, ksauers1, 1 invisible), 293 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,494
Posts545,331
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scott,
Seeing that you are from Texas, here is an analogy.
Suppose that you know of a thousand acre tract with 200 coveys of quail.
Invite some people to hunt it and some will complain about heat, the thorns, the cactus, the snakes, the walking too far between coveys, maybe even the type of dog or how pretty it is... other people will feel like they are in heaven.
Some people are worth inviting, but there is little reason to share the hunting tract with the whiners.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.B.Patton
I believe Pete Hiatt coined the phrase " butt ugly" to describe the Ithaca doubles ( and M21s ) from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Replacement

I think a good part of the answer is that most commonly available Ithaca doubles are simply not as pretty as comparable guns from Parker, Smith and Fox. I have at least one of each, and the Ithaca (Flues 12) looks a bit clumsy next to the others.

Originally Posted By: rabbit
Somewhere I've read that action bars cracked in the smaller gauge Flues (thin walls)
Engraving a Flues must have been like painting a bus

Originally Posted By: King Brown
I wouldn't own an Ithaca if it was given to me

Originally Posted By: PeteM

Yes, Ithaca's are under appreciated, under valued

Originally Posted By: KY Jon

Looks are a personal thing. Look at how many people marry ladies you would not be caught dead with

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

When compared to cars.....Even the high grade Ithaca's are more like'n to a dolled up '66 Rambler.

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
Hunted em all, liked em all, but didn't keep any of them

You can heap all the engraving you want on your Yugo, but at the end of the day it is still a Yugo......

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as PeteM mentions the Ithaca's are under valued, so could it be that there just is not a majority of 'beholders'.....?.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

While most people can agree on what makes a good internal design,good workmanship and quality of materials it is up to the beholder to assign a grade for "beauty" or "fineness of line."I think the Ithacas are a bit "boxy" in general as far as the frames go,but some are very appealing because of the wood and or engraving. Kind of like the Williams sisters versus the Romanian womens gymnastics team.They all have appeal on some level.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or you can heap all the engraving and nice wood you want on an Ithaca and 90 yrs. later have a graded double with some condition that a bottom feeder can almost afford. Course I've never tried to drive an Ithaca to work and have yet to see an engraved YUGO so I'd be hard pressed to say if the comparison is valid.

Flues 4e double
Flues 4e SBT
'35 NID
I37 "Deerslayer" slug gun
I37 Commemorative with 3 barrels and Mr. Smith on the side. Had a couple of "snail ears" from '25 but sold them."

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just curious 'PA24',
How many 'ACD's do you own? Any pics?
If you get a chance to go through the museum, please give a tip of the hat to the American Flag that my Grandfather bought and hung above his work bench. His 'kids' thought it was proper to donate it. Or do you collect Yugos?
No doubt joe owns a rambler or pinto or two, and is an expert.

ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

I think there is value here. Its not that ugly! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183212279

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ben-t
I think there is value here. Its not that ugly! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183212279

I looked at that one Monday night and started to bid. I agree there was some value there...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well fellas, I guess I'm just a Rambler kind of guy cuz I just bought that one last night. grin

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183212279

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hope you can hit anything with it...the stock dimensions look kinda sad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: clampdaddy
Well fellas, I guess I'm just a Rambler kind of guy cuz I just bought that one last night. grin

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183212279

Nice NID. A very fair price.

Pete

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.