Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is a no name, just one I spotted at a double gun event and picked up because I liked it.

The Hulme bags are good looking and have a nice big opening but I don't like it that the flaps don't fold back.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
eightbore #201550 09/02/10 10:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took the advice about the $85.00 McAlister bag and bought one. It is a SUPER GREAT DEAL, all leather and it looks great. Ordered on SUNDAY received today.( thursday) Flap folds back with brass hinge

PDD

Last edited by pittypatdugan; 09/02/10 10:59 PM.

pittypatdugan
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ordered three shirts from them Sunday, but haven't seen anything of them yet, ppd. You musta pulled rank on me, or sumpin'. confused

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Hulme bag's lid folds back just fine, but does not have a brass hinge. The leather is supple enough to allow it to fold back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PPD

I received mine yesterday as well. Sorry Stan, guess I pulled rank also as I ordered on Sunday, too blush. I think for the money, it's a nice bag. My only complaint would be that the stitching seems a little light where the back panel and the sides come together. I think with hard use, it may start to separate in that area. Nice large opening. I had no problem pulling a handful of 12ga shells through the opening with my large hands. IMHO- it's a good buy at the closeout price of $85.

Cheers
Marc

Marc Ret #201656 09/03/10 07:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to admit it.....my wife took my first cartridge back that I bought about 10-15 years ago before I even got to shoot with it! I then got one from Lewis Drake that I have used ever since. It's great as far as I'm concerned but I don't have much to compare it with.

Bob Blair #202739 09/13/10 05:47 PM
zwego Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to the input here, I also ordered the cartridge bag from McAlister’s and as is noted above, it is a Super Great Deal. Very good quality and workmanship. Exactly what I was looking for.
Interestingly, in an earlier post Galco leather was also mentioned as having a nice cartridge bag, which they do. I looked at the info that they have on line for their bag ($345) and the advertising copy is exactly like that in the McAlister’s ad. The pictures are also of the same bag, as far as I can tell or at least the Galco pictures look like the bag McAlister sent to me.
So, you can order from Galco for $345 or order on closeout from McAlister for $85. Great deal if you are looking for one of these.
Thanks
Z

zwego #202741 09/13/10 06:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never buy cheap leather goods as I have something of an obsession with good quality kit of this type. I prefer to buy one and keep it forever. I do not know the bags by McAlister but if asked to recommend cartridge bags, I always go with Brady.

Unfortunately they no longer make the pigskin bags - but I have a couple that still look as good now as they did ten years ago. I never saw cheap bags or belts that gave long term satisfaction. Maybe I'm too picky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is too warm to wear a vest of any kind here so out of necessity I have carried cartridge bags for years. I have them ranging in capacities from 100+ 12 gauge shells down to one that holds less than 50 four-ten shells. Some are canvas, some soft leather, and some stiff leather. I don't really care what the bag is made from as long as it is comfortable. One thing I prefer over anything else is a canvas strap. I believe they are more comfortable than a leather strap, even a padded one. One of my least favorite bags to carry is a Lewis Drake bag made from buffalo hide. Not only does the dye from the strap stain shirts but it is not flexible at all. On the rare occasion that I carry that bag I replace the strap with one made of canvas.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Snipe Hunter
One of my least favorite bags to carry is a Lewis Drake bag made from buffalo hide. Not only does the dye from the strap stain shirts but it is not flexible at all.

Plains Indians had the squaws chew on the Buffler hides to soften'em up for robes and such uses. Maybe your wife or significant other could take care of that Lewis Drake bag for you; chewing ought to get rid of the staining problem too! Might not want to kiss'em for a while afterwards though...Geo

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.