March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thought I would just pass on a warning to everyone. I just received an older rifle that had been wrapped directly in contact with bubblewrap and the small circles from the bubbles had either, through the summer heat or chemical reaction been transferred onto the stock finish in circular matte shadows. It took a judicious amount of elbow grease and Renaisance Wax to remove them. From now on I will be sure and ask the seller to wrap in newspaper first then bublewrap, as we do. I still have to give it a day or two and see if they reappear.I will report if they do. Just be aware and warn shippers! Warmest To All Jerry

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Jerry, I always wrap in newsprint (unprinted end rolls) and then bubble wrap.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, I've had the same experience. A Hagn single shot I bought recently had tiny lumps where the bubbles contacted the finish. I suspect the reaction may be finish specific, so perhaps some of the modern plastics would not react, but the oil finish sure did.

I'm going to go back to knit gun socks inside plastic boxes for all shipping I do, and request the same from shippers. It might add a few dollars cost, but worth it not to have to worry about saving the finish, original or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks guys! I could be guilty!!!
I wonder if summer heat might be a factor??
No need to find out...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this what could happen ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The wrinkle pattern makes me suspect it was wrapped in plastic "shrink wrap" or something like "Saran Wrap" rather than bubble wrap, but the damage is similar! I think you'll find a very thin transfer of plastic onto the wood finish. As Jerry said above, a very fine abrasive, like wax, may remove it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, the picture shows the bubble wrap the gun arrived in. See the brown residue on the bubble ahead of the trigger guard. This damage was so bad that I think there must have been a solvent on the bubble wrap before packaging. One could scrape off the factory oringinal finish with ones fingernail. I do have a set of barrels here that I have had to wipe down several times to get the "spots" from bubble wrap off of the newly blued surface. I'll not use bubble wrap against a gun's finish again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you unroll new bubble wrap, it often gives of an odor. That volatile chemical is probably our finish eater. You now hold the record for the worst case I've seen!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys: Thought I would report back, that it has now been a week and my rifle is luckily o.k. After I posted last week, there were a few spots I missed or didn't remove all the way, but a day later I went over them again with Renaisance Wax [Museum Quality made in England] and they came right out! Whew... that was close! While I'm issuing warnings I may, as we say in the South...GO WHOLE HOG! Do not get WIPE OUT COPPER REMOVER FOAM CLEANER anywhere near any of the old type laquer/varnish/oil based stock finishes!!!!!! If you do, it will immediately cause a hardshell stock finish 70 years old to soften... gum and roll under your fingers. The blue copper wash from the barrel if it drains out and down through the magazine well onto the stock, will stain the wood and cannot be sanded out. REMOVE THE BARRELED ACTION FROM THE STOCK, WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT WITH VINTAGE GUNS [It SUPPOSEDLY does not affect MODERN STOCK FINISHES]...REMOVE THE ACTION...THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS...TILTING THE RIFLE PER THE INSTRUCTIONS IS BULL****. The foam expands at such a rapid rate it cannot be controlled, not to expand backwards into the magazine well! This happened not to me but to my gunsmith, and he had to refinish a SEDGLEY at his expense! Just be aware...a word again of warning!!!

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Boxlock
Boxlock

Interesting thread.
I'd like to hear(read) more careful wraps that protect the finish during shipping that's been used successfully for years.

I just bought a new roll of bubble wrap. mad

The last rifle I shipped was sent bare in a Midway shipping box egg crate foam lined. The client said the stock sheen didn't match what I'd sent him in photos. I had used the RenWax before pics and shipping and sent him the wax tin.

GUNMAKER
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.