April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (ClapperZapper, Jtplumb), 1,283 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
LeFusil #201982 09/06/10 07:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll put another plug in for Fabarms. I have a Beta Classis
with English and splinter. Barrels are rated for steel/no-tox. It's a great field gun.
Light and handy. It only comes with single trigger though.
The barrels also flare quite a bit at the muzzles because of the choke tubes.
Not perfect but very functional.
Regarding current new guns, I'm not sure I know of any that meet all your criteria.
The S&W can be had with double triggers and no tubes but only come in 20 gauge.
Not sure if you can get the Fausti DEA in 12 w/double triggers and fixed chokes,
but I'd research those a bit too.
Not sure I'd shoot steel through a Uggie/Aya/Arrieta/Garbi/Grulla...
Good luck searching,
-Jim

LeFusil #201987 09/06/10 08:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one, a Golden Lion, I think it was. Pretty good gun, but I didn't care for the phony side plates.

Sidelock
Sidelock

that italian gun with quad bolt locking and "tri-bore" was pretty good.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As more and more non-tox is required, prices will come down.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

generally, guns made prior to 1990 are not suitable for hard steel shot, due to the probability of soft barrel steel, which may score and bulge if used with steel shot. also, steel shot patterns better with more open chokes, such as ic and mod, rather than the more traditional full and extra full, typically found in older pre 1990 made guns.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good #202396 09/10/10 12:21 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for pointing me twards the Fabarm doubles guys. Talk about nice looking doubles for a very reasonable price! I really like the Classic Lion English. Anybody know if they're they still in production? All I could find on the HK website was handguns and rifles.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi CD, one of my dedicated duck guns is a Fabarm Beta Classis. This gun has 28" bbls, SST and PG. The forend is a BT, but not an oversized one. It's a very good quality gun that is very solid and reliable. The tubes do add a bit of flare at the muzzle but not that great that you can really tell except up close. The tubes are rated for steel up to the modified tube, not rated for steel in IM or Full. This gun has a round body more or less and is a nice looking gun. The weight on mine is 6-14. It is a good handling gun with good balance.

I did have a Classic Lion I (without the sideplates) that had DT and a thinner BTFE. Nice gun, but for me it didn't handle all that well. The Classis is a much better handling gun, more style and more of a lively feel to her.

The Classic series is more common with a 26" bbl. There are 28" and even 30" bbls in this series, but can be hard to come by. You can find them, but you have to look. I know that there was one (CL I) on GB a while ago.

Overall, I think these are underrated guns and have much to offer for the price. I like mine!

Here's a couple of links with some more info

http://www.fabarm.com/en/default.htm

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/shotguns/100461/Fabarm_Beta_Classis.html

Good luck and all the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #202410 09/10/10 08:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi CD, boy for the requirements you want, this is a tough one. The price range you stated will kind of limit your choices. Most modern doubles in this price range will have SST/SNST, some kind of BTFE and if tubes will have that buldge.

One option is to either have one of your more "modern" older doubles tubed by Briley with their thin wall tubes (no buldge) that are rated for steel. If the shot size your using is on the smaller size you should be ok with regards to any rib seperation.

Or you can see what's on the used market in the way of a good Spanish or lesser known Italian maker and then have it tubed by Briley. The the cost of the gun and tubing would run you about 2k.

That's about all I can suggest. I hope someone else will come to the rescue for you here.

Anyway, best of luck to you in this most interesting search!

Greg

I agree...sort of. If it was me (and, it was, too, because I have done this) I would look around for a "lightly butchered" old "quality" double. That way, you could "customize" the poor thing to your heart's content with a clear conscience. For example, my previously beaten up and abused old Skimin and Wood has had Briley choke tubes installed, along with lenghtened forcing cones, a new stock finish, a new recoil pad, and it has also had its automatic safety deactivated. A "relic" is now "back in the hunt". How can this be a bad thing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Ithaca SKB Model 100 with 26" barrel would be IC/M, and would meet your requirements--except it has a SST. But an extremely solid gun at a very good price (under $1,000). You might check out the Fausti Styles that Cabela's has been selling. I believe they are OK with steel, and in your price range. Older Bernardellis with open chokes would also be OK. Actually, I'd say any gun from the 60's or newer with chokes no tighter than mod should work, as long as you don't shoot anything larger than about #4 steel. Browning warns not to shoot steel through its Belgian guns, but the real concern is the combination of tight choke and large steel pellets.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.