May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Karl Graebner, canvasback, David Williamson, Der Ami, Argo44, 1 invisible), 768 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,615
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had the same issue back in 1997 when my dad passed away. He had a fairly good collection of rifles and shotguns that he sold with the exception of a Model 94 and a Model 1906 that had been re-barreled and re-stocked to look like a Model 62. He left those to me, which I donated to the NRA Museum. He had a Colt Single Action in .45 Long Colt, he bought from Hudson's Sporting Goods back in the late 30s. It was a 4 3/4" barrel model. He didn't mention it in his will and my cousin was the executor of the estate. When his relatives and friends heard that she had it, they all decided they should have it. Talk about a lot of raised voices and strong letters. His step brother and step sister, both, had one foot in the grave and they were bound and determined they were going to get their paws on it. My brothers and I were hoping she would donate it to the NRA Museum, but that didn't happen. Events like this always bring out the worst in people.

Colin L. Kendall
Sidelock
Sidelock

My parents gave everything away to us children long before they died. They helped us when they thought we may have needed it, not at the times of their deaths when we were comfortably settled. They knew that invariably there is unpleasantness or worse toward the end and almost always in designating possessions. For the time it takes, persons who don't get these matters nailed down before death are bloody fools. It poisons families forever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope to auction my entire collection out of the kitchen door of my house to an enthusiastic crowd gathered between the garden and the house. However, I don't trust an auctioneer to properly describe the guns nor do I trust a caterer to conduct a proper free bar and barbecue. I have to figure out how to do all three jobs while on my last legs. I don't want anything to be left after my death except a few bird guns and a .22.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sadly, money or possesions brings out the sh-t in peoples' blood.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

WOW! Some folks can get their panties all in a wad over a simple question. No, like jOe said, I don't need any more guns. Out of respect for Mike I would like to see his guns go to someone who will cherish them along with his writings. If I was lucky enough to be able to buy one you can be sure that it would not be for sale any more than the English Literature book that I have that was signed by Havilah Babcock.

Best Regards To All.......George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh come on George, lets not get on the high horse. You knew the question was "questionable" but asked it anyway so you've got to expect this reaction.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

For those that were offended by George's inquiry... What is the "proper" length of time needed to pass before the "vulture" comments would not be necessary?

I am sure that someone as well versed and knowledgable about double guns as Mr. McIntosh would have a plan in place to properly dispose of his guns upon his untimely death. In other words, I doubt his widow/family would be taken advantage of by some unscrupulous "dealer". He wasn't exactly John Doe that sets up a table loaded with mossberg 500's at the local gunshow. This was a true expert in our field and I doubt that the family would be offended at people who would love to own/cherish a piece of Mr. McIntosh's legacy. Provenance and history add to the value of each gun and most of us here would love to have a shot at owning a piece associated with someone of Mr. McIntosh's stature.

I wasn't offended. Of course, I'm not family, friend or associate - nor can I afford his good stuff anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just guessing that a lot of this reaction is a carry-over from George's initial posts in the For Sale section. Clogging up the whole section with dozens of guns for sale from what appeared to be a dealer did seem to irritate an awful lot of the folks on this BBS.

Inquiring about the disposition of MM's guns seems to be a fair question, although perhaps a bit early. I expect there will be some large auction house advertising the sale of the collection sometime next year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What did he have that has George so excited? All I ever hear about is the AYA with a million rounds through it and an old Wilkes that he is carrying on the dust cover of the Fox book. If he has anything decent, I expect the Missouri contingent will be first in line.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Ironman5
For those that were offended by George's inquiry... What is the "proper" length of time needed to pass before the "vulture" comments would not be necessary?

Oh,I don't know... maybe till the dirt settles or the family arrives at a decision made public.
The "proper" question may be much like...why the need to notch a gun butt?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.