March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#202582 09/12/10 09:05 AM
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I shortened the pull yesterday on a .410 Stoeger Uplander, that I won at a S x S shoot recently, for my grandson. I then fitted a thin hard red buttpad. After determining how much to cut off I set some dividers to that measurement and scribed the line to follow around the butt. I sawed it off using a hacksaw and a fine tooth blade and it turned out very well, requiring very little "sanding flat". Only problem was that on the off side the wood splintered off the surface in tiny splinters from the blade pushing through on the cut. The wood in that gun is very soft, doesn't appear to be walnut. If I had wrapped the area to be cut with masking tape would it have prevented this splintering, or was I just using the wrong kind of saw?

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always tape 'em and use a power mitre box with a really sharp carbide blade. It takes a little jigging and fixturing to get the stock in square, but, it makes for a clean cut.
You could try the same with the same gun, just taking a sliver off the cut stock to clean up the cut.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Ted here. If you don't tape around the cut line you'll probably get splinters. I use an ancient Millers Falls hand miter box to do this with some adjustment and clamping. Taping is also necessary when fitting a pad or you'll ding the stock.
BTW: I use Gorilla tape. This is really tough stuff.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 09/12/10 01:40 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have both a miter (chop) and table saw. The table saw with a sled is much better than a chop saw. Tape is a very good idea.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a radial arm saw and try to go slow and steady. I shim up the butt the way I want it and clamp it to the table. Always wrap it with tape. I use Scotch electrical tape, wrapped very tightly. Mike Orlen's suggestion is to cut it about 1/16" or so, longer than you want it and then feather cut the last bit, to reduce the likelihood of splintering or chipping. Cleaning up the last bit on a belt sander accomplishes the same thing. Some of today's plastic finishes like to take out little chunks in spite of good preparation.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 09/12/10 11:29 AM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am about to embark on the same task for my Grand Son - Stan where did you get a hard thin red rubber pad ? I believe that one off of a old Ruger Rifle would be ideal, but I haven't located it yet.

To prevent the wood from splintering, how about making a very light 1/8" cut all of the way around the stock first ?

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can usually prevent splintering, even with plastic finishes, by scoring your scribe line with a fresh razor blade or X-Acto or surgical knife. Just cut through the first layer of wood fibers and be careful not to veer off your scribe line. This works better than just tape.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement, that makes alot of sense, much better than making a light cut with a saw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like replacements idea as well. I think I'll try this the next time.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey I just did it on a power mitre saw, scribing it with an exacto-knive, no tearouts ! Worked great !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.