March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#204834 10/04/10 04:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Over the past decade or so I've come across "retro" turnscrew sets here and there for sale. Can anyone recommend any that they may have bought? And just what/how many turnscrews are to be considered essential, that is, most used in basic maintenance of our beloved vintage guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

K2,
Get yourself a "thin bit" set from Brownell's. It will fit most of the fine slotted screws found on continental guns. If you find you need thicker blades most any other gunsmithing set will accommodate those screws. Brownell's and Midway offer a good selection.
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use wooden and bone handled hand made turnscrews here in the UK. I've got 6 of different sizes and I use a fine table based hand grinder to make them fit each gun as I restore them...

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

KK, to do it right, the screwdriver blades must fit exactly the screws of your gun for thickness, width, and depth. If your are mechanically inclined, it is not difficult to buy driver bits and custom grind them for specific guns. Likewise, you can buy fancy turnscrews and custom grind. The chance are low of buying a set and having them fit properly. The chances of damaging screw slots with improperly fitting drivers is high. Proper fitting blades seriously trumps fancy handles.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I read you loud and clear, Rocketman, and I'm with you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a Wheeler set, they're very extensive and will fit about any screw you're likely to come across. The problem isn't grinding a blank down to fit a slot, the BIG problem is tempering it so it won't break. And scratch your shotgun.

If you grind and temper all the time you can probably do it by eyeballing, but if not, you're in for an experience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll vote for the Brownells Magna-tips. In a former life (the one with a lot of spare time) I would custom grind blades to fit the job. They fit well enough but the fine blades frequently broke. The Brownells make life easier and less scary. They come in small increments of widths and thicknesses, can be ground a bit thinner/narrower if absolutely necessary. And they're tough. Regardless of which brand or type you prefer, the sooner you suck it up, toss the Craftmans, and invest in good screwdrivers the better off you will be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a set of Brownells and a set of Wheeler Engr. screwdrivers that I'm pretty happy with. I bought a used set of Bonanza that had a couple with broken tips that I had to regrind. The Bonanza set is definitely more brittle and would not be my first choice with a very stubborn screw. I've also reground many common screwdrivers to a hollow ground tip to fit gun screws with mixed results depending on the quality of the steel. If you don't overheat the tip while grinding and draw the temper, retempering shouldn't be necessary. None of mine are of the rosewood handled turnscrew variety you asked about. The other guys who responded are apparently choosing functionality over appearance as well, although it is certainly possible to have both. That could get pretty costly though to have a large selection to cover a variety of different makes of guns. Personally, I'd rather have a utilitarian set of Brownells' and apply the savings to buying another gun.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll go with the guys on the Brownells sets. I'd add too the bit holding gizmo for the grinding that is sure to happen sometime. I know you can do it freehand and I have, but the gizmo is just the really proper way to do it -

Dr.WtS

Of course if you really want to do it the old way, get a couple leaf springs from the auto wrecking yard and start cutting. Recommended method in an old Limey gunsmithing book I have.
Bonne chance

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a set I bought from Midway about a decade ago that I keep in a shooting bag. The bits cover a lot, but I must admit they've been used more for handguns and centerfire rifles than fine old doubles. Actually they've NEVER been used on any of my doubles. The bits are pretty good, the number of them is pretty comprehensive, but they're shakey-snakey in the driver. Basically this is what prompted the interest in solid blade/handle drivers. But the Magna-tips from Brownell's look good, and I'm guessing they're solid once in the drive handle or I'm sure you guys would have mentioned it. So what about it? Here's your last chance to tell me all the aspects of what make these the best econaomical choice. Many Thanks - Marc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.