March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, Jason Dubois), 865 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I stumbled across these Gustav Tichy of Moravska Ostrava(Mährisch Ostrau) longarm images. I believe he gave Lovena a run for their money or Gustav Tichy & Lovena sourced the same craftsmen for their sidelock examples.

I'm leaning that the falling block was sourced from the craftsmen at Zella-Mehlis.

Falling block with some interesting text on the right side of the tube

The owner/seller gave that the O/U had a 1958 date on it, if I read it correctly. But this O/U passed thru the Zella-Mehlis proofhouse more than likely during WWI or shortly thereafter. So just from these few examples it seems that Gustav Tichy had a pretty solid sourcing line to the craftsmen at Zella-Mehlis.

Anyone have any Gustav Tichy examples or info? He passed thru Frantisek Faukner's shop as a journeyman.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are proofmarks on the right side and there looks to be a datastring but I can't make it out.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
I stumbled across these Gustav Tichy of Moravska Ostrava(Mährisch Ostrau) longarm images. I believe he gave Lovena a run for their money or Gustav Tichy & Lovena sourced the same craftsmen for their sidelock examples.

Anyone have any Gustav Tichy examples or info? He passed thru Frantisek Faukner's shop as a journeyman.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Raimey, why do you connect Lovena and Tichy? One of the sidelocks you posted has pin placement similar to my Lovena but the other is quite different. I guess I'm asking what else are you seeing that makes you think some of the same craftsmen did work for both.

Regards,

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

canvasback:

I guess I should have better stated my tongue in cheek response in that in my mind I was inferring that both Lovena and Tichy more than likely had the same or similar clients and the probability is pretty high that the craftsmen at Lovena and Tichy passed thru the same shops as journeymen. Also both Lovena and Tichy sourced the same, or similar, craftmen for components or longarms in the white. It seems that WWI is a watershed moment for a firearms merchant actually contributing effort toward the end product in that prior to WWI, and it may be a factor of mechanization, shops may have just sourced components while post WWI it appears that they were ordering weapons with their name roll stamped on the tubes. I've seen pre-1900 examples where the craftsmen at the firearm merchant's shop actually overstamped the marks of the craftsmen who actually performed the work. So many times the marks are either overstamp or worked off in an attempt to conceal the master craftsmen.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: GTichy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, Got it. Thank you.

Regards,

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gustav Tichy's Great-Grand-Daughter, Ingrid Vyhmister of Seattle, has kindly contacted me and her father Alexander Tichy, now 74 years of age, does remember Gustav Tichy. Alexander Tichy's father, also named Alexander, moved the family to Brasil in the 1950s and at least one of Alexander's brothers resides there now.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone out there, especially any cog-heads, think this Gustav Tichy patent may have been intended for gun tubes: http://www.google.com/patents?id=yNN5AAA...p;q&f=false ??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister we now know that Gustav Tichy was born in 1867, probably in Bohemian, but the exact location is unknown for now. In either 1898 or 1899, and I'm sure a master gunsmith and finanically secure by this time, he married seamstress Karalina Brychova, who was born in 1873 and expired in 1935. They were married very near Salzburg in Austria. During WWII, in 1942, the lone bell tolled for Gustav Tichy and he was interred in a cemetery that was later purportedly bulldozed by the Russians and an apartment complex built upon the site.

Now I need any & all images of his offerings.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

]

The script on the right side of the tube appears to be "Na pamiatke 50 letnich urodziny" in Polish and roughly translates to Remembering the 50th Birthday. With the Polish border less than 10 miles away from Ostrava, I'm sure Gustav Tichy had many Polish clients.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister has acquired an image from the late 1930s of Gustav with his son Alexander and grandson. Also some fine fella send me this link which has a Gustav Tichy & Company 20 bore sourced from Ludwig Borovnik, one of Ferlach's top craftsmen:

http://it.armiusate.it/catalogo/233/Shot...OROVNIK-20.html

Swan's neck??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister's Tichy example:

I wonder what the "Patent 132762" stamp refers to?

Note the weight variation at the 1965 proof.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, that is a beautiful looking gun that Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister has. Love that engraving, especially around the top lever. What is the the figure on the medallion inset into the stock?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, that is a beautiful looking gun that Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister has. Love that engraving, especially around the top lever. What is the the figure on the medallion inset into the stock?

Regards,

James

Sidelock
Sidelock

oops!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister's Tichy example:
I wonder what the "Patent 132762" stamp refers to?

Note the weight variation at the 1965 proof.

Those barrels were proofed in Liege in 1925 (lower cased d is 1925, 1965 was a lower cased d )

They bear a little seen mark. The mark of barrels exported to a foreign proof house.

I believe that the N is the mark of Max Neumann. Max Neumann deposited 2 marks one in 1924 with the Raick Brothers and another in 1947, H in a rhombus He was active from 1905 to 1954.

The Neumann Brothers used an N inside a hunting horn, a light house with a beacon, NF in a circle, N with a small N below it, the head of Leopard and FN in a double circle. Both also had several trade names registered.

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

Pete

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Peter that "N" in a shield is the Prague-Weipert 4th proof of semi-smokeless powder. Weipert, and the subsequent Brno facility, would have a "*" coupled with the Nitro type mark. The 1st proof was in 1925 as you noted and the weight is on the lower rib. In 1932 it was imported into Prague and passed thru the proofhouse. Then in 1965 there was some alteration and it once again passed thru the Prague proofhouse. There looks to be some difference in the weights(flat stamp could also be 1925 and lower rib 1965 stamp???). I haven't looked closely at the 2 stamps, but it might provide some insight as to the alteration. There is a mark forward on the left flat I can't tell what it is but there appears to be a "Crown" over "D" just ahead of the flats just before the "Choke" mark on the left flat. I assume the "17.2" was stamped in the 1965 effort but it could have been applied at the Prague proofhouse facility in 1932, but I don't know why.

Canvasback, I was checking my notes to see if Ingrid had noted what was on the medallion.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

OK on the Czech proof marks. I thought they stopped using the N by 1962? My sources do not agree on that one. Also, didn't the Weipert facility close in 1945?

What a long history as documented by the proofs.... The 17.2 may be part of a Belgian mark indicating the choke. As for the weights, I was not aware the Czech proof house was marking barrel weights. Though I have never seen a Belgian barrel weight on a rib.

Pete

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Peter:
I'm pretty sure it was used at least till 1972. I know that it was recognized in 1963 by the Brits. But I usually can't get the closing date of the Weipert facility correct, but I think it was 1954. Then the facility was transferred to Brno. Without the star, the proofing effort would have been in Prague. It may very well be that the Austro-Hungarian were the only ones to put the weight of the tubeset on the lower rib.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Czechs used the mark at least until 1977 as per these marks:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=174497&page=1

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. Scratch those sources when it comes to the Czech proofs....

Pete

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some sources give the * accompanying the Nitro mark was used from 1952 to 1957 but most of the post 1957 CZ doubles show otherwise. Also it may be that the Brno facility was open as early as 1952 and possibly earlier. Folklore had it that it was supposed to have be transitioned to post WWII but I think it was a bit later. As of 2010 a figure of 160k arms per year were proofed at the Czech facility and I think that to include both Brno and Prague. But Gustav Tichy would have imported his wares thru the Prague proof facility. Hopefully in the very near future, maybe even today, indepth conversations with Gustav Tichy's heirs will shed some light on this maker, one of many craftsmen/firearms merchants who remains clouded in a vale of obscurity. For now and for me the sourcing lines are of the utmost interest but we may never know the whole truth. Would be nice if someone penned an article on all the conjecture surrounding the marks so that one could begin to attach a probability to the statement and source, huh??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ingrid was kind enough to snap another image and it appears that the Prague proofhouse value is 1306g. So the difference would be 9 grams or about 1/3 oz. Another note is that the Belgians used units of Kg while the Austro-Hungarian folks used grams.

Also the mark just forward on the flats looks to be a "2/0" or something close. The tubeset knitter may have had the initials "AL"??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

I was very pleased finding this thread and learning that there was so much interest about my Grandpa Gustav Tichy and his business. I am Georges, born in Saint-Raphael, France, in August 16th 1950.
I am visiting my brother Alexander. His daughter Ingrid lives close here, and she now owes a Gustav Tichy gun, which I had the privilege of holding for the first time. Very emotional.

Last edited by GTichy; 06/06/11 10:17 AM.

Georges Alexandre Tichy
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Georges holding a Gustav Tichy offering, now owned by Ingrid, along with his older brother Alexander

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

More Tichy images:

Gustav Tichy, Alexander & Alex?

Gustav Tichy's shop was at Trida Ceskoslovenskych(čs.) Leggii 148/14, Moravsk aOstrava, Czechoslovakia(Thanks Jani)( Avenue of the Czechoslovak Legion Nr. 14. ) when the example Ingrid owns was retailed.
Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi guys, I'm from Czech republic and few years ago I got rifle which I didn't know who made it. After some reasearch I found Gustav Tichy to be the gunmaker. What was really bothering me was the lack of information you can get online about this gunmaker. So I decided to write an article about him and bring his legacy back. I have some info from archives in Ostrava and I talked to man whose father was friend with workers in Gustav Tichy factory. I exchanged also couple of emails with George Tichy who commented above. I would love to get in touch with Ingrid Tichy so if you have contact please tell her. I'm open to discussion and to share what I know, but I don't want to make it public before the article is published. So please contact me via email dagfunny2@gmail.com.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll see if I can raise her. I have a loose connection to her as I believe she moved from Washington State to the Penal Colony of Georgia.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ingrid is well & has departed the Penal Colony of Georgia for greener pastures in Alaska? She is currently in DC & will contact you upon her arrival home.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Awesome. She sent me an email and I replied her already. We will wait till she gets back so we can discuss what we know about Gustav Tichy. Once I have everything in one place I will post it in this thread for everyone who is interested. And thank you very much for help it is very appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I'm interested.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DAGFUNNY
....... so we can discuss what we know about Gustav Tichy. Once I have everything in one place I will post it in this thread for everyone who is interested. And thank you very much for help it is very appreciated.

I do wonder if there was a follow-through for any of this? I have knowledge that Tichý sidelock was actually a father-son business and was quite a bit larger with satellite outlets and warehouses that what has been assumed.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Two, Gustav Tichý sidelocks, have surfaced in recent weeks, being a Belgian sourced platform.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

I highly fancy that dip towards the middle of the bottom of the lockplate.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have been watching this one for a while now and been thinking about buying it, it’s worth the asking price I just know it wouldn’t bring that much after I’m gone. This guy was a real artist!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: GTichy
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Would it happen to be a bona fide Tichý?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

According to galazan.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Also found Morphys auction 2008 same gun.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 11/07/21 07:11 PM.
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And for all you Gustav Tichý fans, finally a monogram or trademark.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gustav Tichý v Přerově, so indeed he did have a shop or outlet in Přerově.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Yes, this is me holding a Gustav Tichy shotgun. He was my Grandpa. To read more about our family's story, visit the following link: tichystory.blogspot.com

Georges Alexandre Tichy
Boxlock
Boxlock

Yes, there was a time when they had a branch in another City than Ostrava. I cannot confirm the name of the City, I only remember my Dad (Alexandre) telling me of that shop where my Grandpa Gustav sent my uncle Gustav to be the manager. But my uncle only messed things up, and soon they closed that business, thus staying only in Ostrava - where they lived.

Georges Alexandre Tichy
Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks for acknowledging that my Grandpa, Gustav Tichy, was an artist. I heard from my Dad, Alexandre Tichy, that he was indeed a very dedicated craftsman.

Georges Alexandre Tichy
Boxlock
Boxlock

Update: Our older brother, Gustav Tichy, resided in Brasil but passed away in the end of 2018. Alexander lives now in Georgia and is 85 years old. Ivan is 82, and lives in Florida. I, Georges, am 71 and live in California.
Cheers.

Georges Alexandre Tichy
Boxlock
Boxlock

I just bought a Gustav tichy shotgun CAL 16, are there any way to find information about this gun?

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pleasure us with some images of the marks. More than likely a Belgian platform or a completed Belgian sourced longarm with Tichy's name scratched atop.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

As far as i can see its belgium made in 1928, not sure if i read it corectly. The history i was told was that it came to the North of Norway with som german hunters in the begining of the 30s.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/9d8mz9TPfu947ya89[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/VhhrUL2bkGzXDLTH9[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/iWjAdS6c52oLFfpF8[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/akhqkqaezLtm1TjF9[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/esWNQ2BAprf97bpCA[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uva1TtsXVin3sMev9[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/zH6GmvraWztDeBsC9[/img]

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Crown over D says a lot, pointing to Canons Delcour( Jean-Baptiste Delcour-Dupont of Nessonvaux?? ) . >>g<< datecode for the Sideplated Anson & Deeley Body Action.

[Linked Image from thumbs2.imgbox.com]

Chambered for 16 bore with 70mm chambers

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting encircled C.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Is it worth getting restord or is it better just using it as it is?

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So is the address >>Moravska Ostrava<< or is Přerově on there too? There were a couple of Gustav's and one brother created a mess of things....

You know, there just aren't a lot of devout Gustav Tichý followers and if you spend say $2000 -$3000 U.S. of A. on a restoration, then probably you will never find someone to take it off of your hands @ the restored price. I would use it & enjoy it, being a proper custodian and keeping it functional.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gustav Tichý's shop was at Trida Ceskoslovenskych Leggii 148/14, Moravsk Ostrava.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

The adress is Moravska Ostrava. I gave aprox 100$ for it.

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, you did well. You might be able to invest some renovation then. But doubles are so much cheaper in Europe, than in the U.S. of A. where now just to import is going to be a cool Grand($1000).

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That high serial number makes me think it was sourced from a larger Liège concern in 1928. So there must be a maker's mark on the longarm somewhere?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I forgot to mention it has the Anson Pushrod forend fastener. Is there any monogram or similar on the standing breech?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

I’ll take a closer look to see if i can find some more marks on it. It looks like the forend has been changed or repaired at some time

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pleasure us with a closeup foto of the forend and let's see the repair.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

https://share.icloud.com/photos/085iBz06hfrLiNEG44vdo039w Not sure if you can see any on those pictures

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.