April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (KDGJ, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your daily newspaper may refuse such advertising also. Obviously, G&G is aimed at yuppies, but so is, oh, I can't say it. What year did you cancel the big three hunting and fishing publications? To be honest, the NRA thing is a good reason to wonder about those people, if it is true.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:
Aside from the macabre interest in what type of gun Papa used to end his life, I find this thread transmogrified into a debate over a new periodical and the NRA. Fine. In that light, I regard ANY publication that promotes a positive outlook on shooting as beneficial.

You may not find all of Garden & Gun to your liking, but you can't "please all of the people all of the time."

As for their refusal to run NRA advertising, I don't mind a whit. There are some NRA ads that I wouldn't want in my magazine. In fact, I thought about resigning my Life Membership if they endorsed Harry Reid for re-election. They haven't. But like Lincoln said, you can't please all of the people -- but you damn well ought to prevent the nation from perishing from this Earth. Thankfully, Reid is toast.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a bad mag and something occasionally of interest, but not of much of much use unless you spend a lot of time below the Mason-Dixon line. I was a subscriber but now just get their occasional on-line blurb, which is where I saw the Hemingway gun article. I did order the book though: $26 and change with free shipping on Amazon.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HOS
Sorry to rain on this parade, but...I cancelled my subscription.

I've always wondered how one goes about canceling his subscription.

Does this, of necessity, involve an irate letter to the editor? Or can it be done by phone, or e-mail?

If they keep sending the offensive rag; what next?

Did you get your money back, prorated? Or were you able to return the previously received issues to get a full refund?

Oh! By the way, did the American Rifleman article state whether the NRA was going to actually pay for the ad, or simply expected to get it gratis because Garden & Gun seems to be of the symbiotic gun-loving genre? There is an awful lot of free back-and-forth advertising and cross promotion in the gun magazine business. The possibility that Garden and Gun may not have seen any quid pro quo in the American Rifleman ad could imply that G&G respectfully declined to make a donation.

There was a time during Ron's tenure with the PGCA that Dan Cote respectfully declined to keep giving free DGJ ad space to an organization with $100K in the bank; Dan said he wanted to allocate the gratis space to start-up collector groups like the LCS, Lefever, and Fox guys. This did not make the DGJ anti-PGCA. I wonder what the real and complete back-story is on the NRA being "refused" (paid?) advertising in an otherwise gun-friendly magazine. EDM

EDM
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It sits right next to Better Homes & Gardens at my Dr.'s office in N. VA. Found the premier issue there and subscribed but now just pick it up from time to time when an article catches my eye. My better half digs it but she's more into fly fishing and subscribes to The Drake. She's cool.

HOS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The article ("Random Shots" on page 26 of the October 2010 issue of "American Rifleman") indicates that the NRA intended to pay for the advertisement and that the reason for turning it down was G & G's policy of not running "political ads." Incidentally, about a year ago there was a fluffy article on Louisville in G & G, which failed to mention that Louisville is the site of a big gun show and a first-rate firearms museum, not to mention its proximity to a virtually unique twice a year machine gun shoot. They did cover the barbeque joints pretty thorougly, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks HOS, it is always good to be able to evaluate various points of view.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: EDM
[quote=HOS]

There was a time during Ron's tenure with the PGCA that Dan Cote respectfully declined to keep giving free DGJ ad space to an organization with $100K in the bank; Dan said he wanted to allocate the gratis space to start-up collector groups like the LCS, Lefever, and Fox guys. This did not make the DGJ anti-PGCA. I wonder what the real and complete back-story is on the NRA being "refused" (paid?) advertising in an otherwise gun-friendly magazine. EDM

The Lefever Arms Collectors Association actually pays for its ad in the DGJ. SSM donates ad space in exchange for a membership.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but I see the magazine as upscale fluff. A recent article refered to Bo Whoop as shooting "90% patterns at 40 feet." Not the kind of typo that a magazine truly knowlegable about firearms would make.

In the latest issue they had a peice about owning high end guns up to $250,000 and showed a pair of Watson boxlocks that are at Kevins in Georgia as an example. It's a pretty magazine that's a blend of Southern Living and a fluffy gun magazine with the emphasis on style instead of function.

As to refusing the NRA ad, I figure NRA isn't politicly correct enough for G&G. I fear that without the efforts of the NRA Garden and Gun would likely be Garden and Golf Club.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dick Jones otp

As to refusing the NRA ad, I figure NRA isn't politicly correct enough for G&G. I fear that without the efforts of the NRA Garden and Gun would likely be Garden and Golf Club.

Bravo. Well said. I also agree with all who say Garden and Gun is way too light and superficial on the subject of guns, especially considering that "Gun" accounts for 50% of its' title. I've bought and read several issues and was mildly dissapointed. The fact that they refuse to print a paid NRA advertisement is enough to insure that I will not buy another. I can't say I like everything the NRA does but there is no organization that even comes close to their efforts to preserve shooting sports and the Second Amendment. When it comes to endorsing politicians, you must remember they are a single issue organizantion. Endorsements will not be based uopn health care, abortion, free trade, or anything but support for Second Amendment rights. If other issues outweigh that in any particular race, you have the freedom of choice when you enter the voting booth. So far.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.