May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ken Nelson, R Reynolds, eightbore, jake van dyke), 534 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,545
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We get a spring snow or snows every few years, seems about twenty year intervals more or less. This past year was one, so was 1989. Don't recall off-hand if we had any in between.

Pretty country where you are J.C. I'll bet the children were really thrilled. Snow is always a big deal here for the children because it is infrequent. I enjoy it myself.

Its the ice storms that I worry about; they do a lot of tree damage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't remember if it's the height of arrogance to think you make the weather or to think you don't? Hard to take pride in ecocide just when our little johnny-come-lately human success story was looking so good.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is unfortunate that this has come to be perceived as a left/right issue, rather than a question of science, as it was scientists, not politicians, who first raised the concern several decades ago. When Al Gore appointed himself spokesman for this issue, he unfortunately turned an important policy issue into a political issue, and it has yet to recover. Would we be responding to this issue differently if Mother Teresa had made "An Inconvenient Truth"?

30 years ago scientists also raised concerns about the impacts of acid rain from coal-fired power plants in the Midwest on the forests in the Northeast, and after a lot of political pushing and shoving George Bush I approved a market-based solution for trading pollution credits (aka cap and trade). Several decades later, the problem has been significantly reversed without any of the predicted economic displacement. Hunters and fishers in those areas benefited as a result.

A recent poll found that a majority of those polled opposed a "cap and trade" program for carbon emissions but then admitted that they did not know what "cap and trade" meant. A pretty clear indication that this issue has totally succumbed to politics.

I don't find it hard to believe we can affect the Earth's climate - we learned to fly, escape the Earth's gravity and split atoms after all. If we were able to develop enough atomic weaponery to plunge the Earth into nuclear winter (or worse) if we used it all, why it is so far-fetched to think that all of the pollution from 6.7 billion people can't affect the Earth's climate? Keep in mind that CO2 emissions are cumulative - CO2 emitted 50 or 100 years ago remains in the atmosphere, unless and until it is taken in by plant life. Looking forward, consider that there are 7 times as many people in China and India as in the US - all of whom aspire to our lifestyle. What will things be like when they achieve that goal?

Sorry to preach but like most of the issues being "debated" these days, the debate is all about politics and not the facts/science.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, but, 40 years ago gobal cooling was the the supposed problem we needed to resolve, and, of course, the only way it could be done was with significant impact (read, $$$$$$ CASH) cost to the populace, first for study and then any lifestyle changes deemed prudent. The same scientists involved with that hoax, during that era, that preach warming, today, really get pissed when one brings up that "inconvenient truth".
I don't buy the notion of the "pure scientist" any more than I buy the notion of the "noble savage". The alarm bells have supposedly been ringing off the hook my whole life, and, damn, if the sun still doesn't come up in the east and set in the west every day. Hard to fathom that 99% of all life forms that ever existed on planet earth are extinct, and it all (for the very most part) happened long before humans got here. The atmospheric carbon level has changed many times, dramatically, and humans have only been implicated once, it would seem.
I'm not too worried.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,

India and China may aspire to have an American lifestyle, but that will never ever happen.

Why?

The American population is roughly 10% of the worlds population but to maintain their lifestyle, Americans consume 25% of the total worlds consumable production. Therefore no country will ever match the American lifestyle.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
It is unfortunate that this has come to be perceived as a left/right issue, rather than a question of science, as it was scientists, not politicians, who first raised the concern several decades ago. When Al Gore appointed himself spokesman for this issue, he unfortunately turned an important policy issue into a political issue, and it has yet to recover. Would we be responding to this issue differently if Mother Teresa had made "An Inconvenient Truth"?

A recent poll found that a majority of those polled opposed a "cap and trade" program for carbon emissions but then admitted that they did not know what "cap and trade" meant. A pretty clear indication that this issue has totally succumbed to politics.

Sorry to preach but like most of the issues being "debated" these days, the debate is all about politics and not the facts/science.

I disagree. The debate is over what the data means and just how much data from the initial study was altered. You have to wonder if Mother Teresa heard from both sides of the scientific community if she would have reached the same conclusions as AL Gore. She certainly could have fed and provided services for a a hell of a lot needy with the money Al's made from this issue.

JayCee Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you have the time, even make some time to watch this .

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

The global warming alarmists have set up what amounts to a new religion. What they say must be accepted on faith since there is no proof of what they claim.

I'd encourage those who might join that bandwaggon to do their own research of the literature and make up thier own minds therefrom. "Experts" in any field cannot be trusted since they are financially involved in the enterprise. Fraud is the rule rather than the exception.

I've convinced myself the human impact of climate change is exactly zero and the whole thing is simply a con game.

Start here:

http://sciencespeak.com/MissingSignature.pdf

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Science fiction, as well as science, has an amazing prescience for prediction. I hope our children's future isn't "Silent Running." Only a remnant would be fortunate or unfortunate enuf to lock up the planet and leave. Synfood, synair, synjoy, synlife. Might not happen across another blue marble to screw with. But hey, apres moi etc.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many a truth spoken in jest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

Last edited by nhcrowshooter; 10/30/10 06:37 PM.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.