March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked up a couple A.H. Fox guns a couple weeks ago, one is an 1918 AE and The other a 1921 XE. The XE is in decent shape and is currently out to be fully restored.
The AE has barrels that have been cut from 30" to 28". They have some remaining choke. Talking to the gunsmith he said he might be able to massage the remaining chokes to roughly an IC and a Mod.
While my original intention was just to sell the AE I am now thinking of having the choke work done and using the gun for sometime sporting clays. My questions are, has anyone done this with cut barrels and do you end up with barrels capable of producing decent patterns?
Thanks, John

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My suggestion is to shoot it 'as is' for your sporting use and switch from #9's for the inside 30 yds or so targets to #7.5's for everything else, inclusive of all 'rabbits'. Or you could simply shoot all #7.5's. You may be very pleasantly surprised at your scores. Spend money on getting the stock bent, if needed, and the trigger(s) done and the muzzle or keels touched up if they are rough or the gun on face. Believe it or not, you don't NEED a lot of choke even for 40 yard tower birds w/7.5 shot, the clays break much easier than trying to bag a live bird at the same distance.

The newest Fiocchi 'target shooting dynamics' 1oz loads of #7.5 shot @ 1200fps [12SD1H75]is very pleasant to shoot & has patterned well in several of my guns when I've bothered to shoot a few on the plate. Suggest you buy a flat & don't even bother to pattern your cut Fox until you've shot the first nine boxes at clays. I'd just about bet that you might not even be inclined to even bother by then.

kind regards, tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

True up the cut off area and add some solder to fill any gap. Then shoot the old girl. If recoil is heavy you may want to check the chamber's for length. 2 5/8 is common. I would lengthen the forceing cones before I messed with the chokes.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,

The first thing I would do is go out and pattern the gun. If there is some choke remaining find out how it patterns. Another option is to have a good barrel smith jug choke the gun.

Pete

johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input. I will get it on the pattern board just to confirm what it is doing. I have shot a couple rounds of trap with it and it breaks 35 to 40 yard birds well with 1oz loads so I would think the remaining choke is doing something.
The barrels were cut well, square, no missing solder. The gun itself is an older restock and reblue, both very nicely done, Gun is tight and on face.
I think I will just leave it as it is.

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM
John,

The first thing I would do is go out and pattern the gun. If there is some choke remaining find out how it patterns.

PeteM

Pete: A thousand would-be double gun pundits will beat on the branches of which $19.95 drop-in choke measuring device is the best way to intuit the estimated pattern of a shotgun (not to mention automatically assuming that a cut-barrel gun needs choke fixing). The nicest shooting little 16-bore Parker I ever had (and sold to HC, alas!) had cut barrels. The BH that Destry bought from me had cut barrels, and he reported that it helped his scores at both trap and skeet. I shot ducks in Louisiana and Pigeons in the rings of PA with the BH. I wrote an article--"In Praise of Cut Barrels"--that ought to be required reading, but it seems that, for too many people, actually shooting a gun is not nearly so much fun as speculating about choke measurements and hand-wringing and soul-searching over non-standard barrel lengths.

PeteM is one out-of-the-ordinary person--an expert--who would actually go for the root and suggest that the gun be shot at a 30-inch circle at 40 yards, and the actual pattern count and distribution be evaluated with different shot sizes and powder loads.

Thank you PeteM for a breath of fresh air. You win the Henry Thoreau Prize for "Not Beating on the Branches, but Going for the Root." The payoff is an invite to the farm on the IL/WI state-line north of Durand IL; the trap is set-up is behind the barn, the pheasants are squwaking, ParkerDog is primed, and opening day is next Saturday... EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought an 1891 Parker DH damascus 12 gauge at the Fall Southern SxS last weekend. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that the barrels have been cut to 28". The stock was cut and a Silvers pad added. The bores have been reamed to .754 and there's .006 choke remaining in each barrel (there's plenty of barrel wall thickness). I haven't patterned it but I did shoot it at clays down there and when I was on target they broke.

If this gun was in "original condition" it would have been priced well above my budget so I got a "shooter" that I could afford.

I agree that you should shoot it and see how it performs. Personally I like open chokes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: EDM
...The payoff is an invite to the farm on the IL/WI state-line north of Durand IL; the trap is set-up is behind the barn, the pheasants are squwaking, ParkerDog is primed, and opening day is next Saturday... EDM

Ed,

I thank you. I will give you a call and we can set up a day.

Pete

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Many 1891 12 gauge Parkers were originally bored near .750.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Many 1891 12 gauge Parkers were originally bored near .750.

Thanks for the info.

There is enough barrel wall thickness that I am comfortable shooting this gun. Maybe it's been messed with a little less than I thought. I got it for a price that made both me and the seller happy so it was a fair deal. Like all of my guns I bought it to shoot and shoot it I will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.