May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Borderbill, Stanton Hillis, AZMike, 2 invisible), 157 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,072
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer them with the original Buttplate, a well done Pad is a second place.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Am I alone in being completely turned off by seeing a beautiful stock on a great old gun for sale, only to be deterrred from the possible purchase consideration by seeing that smoke and honey wood END with a brown,black,red or take your pick color pad? If it's leather, you just know that something was fishy with the gun's butt - either short LOP or mashed up/abused end, and the seller/vendor had to make good and dress it up somehow. The pad, though leather and even expertly installed in some cases, just doesn't cut it. And every other case and type of pad - rubber or "other" - is an immediate "pass" on the gun. It weighs that much in the aesthetics department, at least to me. And who in their right mind, or rather, body actually finds a NEED for a pad on a shotgun, particularly the old ones we love and pamper with low pressure 1 oz loads? Am I being irrational? Crazy? You tell me.

You're not being irrational or crazy. Nor are those of us who prefer pads on most everything. That's our personal choice(yours and ours). Some of us shoot thousands of shots at clay targets to every one shot, in the field. "Self-butts" do get banged up and slip around, in a range gun rack. Pads prevent that and do the obvious, reduce felt recoil. Recoil from a typically light 28 ga. bothers me(without a pad) and even a .410 stays in place better, in the rack and against the shoulder.
Obviously, a skeletonized steel butt plate, on a fine gun, is a beautiful thing to behold, whether practical or not. A simple checkered "self butt" looks like a cheap air rifle. JMO, as always. Bottom line is, there's no right or wrong, here.
Merry christmas to all, again.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

On an upland bird gun I prefer the original checkered butt or original horn butt plate or or original skeleton butt. But a pad is not a deal killer for me. I like the brown leather covered pads the best as they detract less from the looks of the gun. The Hawkins, Silvers, Jostam, Winchester, and Ithaca Sunburst are the least detraction and a Pachmyar White Line is the most detraction for me.

The authentic Silvers pads in particular seem to be heavy - they have some steel in them for sure.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 12/25/10 01:10 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have "ape-hanger arms" as a gunsmith once put it. No "off the shelf" gun, the only kind I can afford, fits me. So I add an inch or more with some kind of pad.

On older guns, I either replace the wrecked pad some earlier owner put on it, or, if the stock is original with an original buttplate, I use a pullover. Very ugly, but they work. They also add some protection if you are into heavy cover, boulders, etc. The downside of the "butt condom," as my friend calls them, is that if you don't remove them after most hunts, moisture builds up and wrecks the stock finish. And removing/replacing them each time can be a drag.

Even a .410 that has a too-short stock kicks; the bigger guages get worse. So for me a pad is essential. If I could afford bespoke guns, I'd probably have no pads.

My only gun that has a replacement stock made for me is a 12. In ordinary hunting use, it doesn't kick me at all if I mount it correctly. The one time I used it for crows, it started to hurt after about 40 rounds, probably because I DIDN'T mount it right one or more times. Doves in Argentina would get painful! (Perhaps fortunately, I can't afford them either.....)

For some, life may well be too short to hunt with an ugly gun. On a limited budget, I'd MUCH rather HUNT with an ugly gun than sit home and look at a real beaut!

Merry Christmas to everybody! Very glad to have the Forum and your company!

Mike Armstrong

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
On a limited budget, I'd MUCH rather HUNT with an ugly gun than sit home and look at a real beaut.

Amen, brother. Preach on!

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All good points, pro and con. Certainly if your physical build needs that extra spacer for you to shoot it well, then you've got to do it. I do understand that. Ditto for those who shoot clays or skeet or any sport which requires multiple shots. As strange as it sounds, I never consider shotguns in those contexts: I don't involve myself in the shooting sports so it never enters my mind that the pads serve a legitimate purpose for those who do. I always look at a shotgun as a potential hunter because that's what I do with them.

I guess I wrote that post a little too soon after going through pictures of a bunch of beautiful old guns, with beautiful wood, most of which ended in a pad. I was a bit worked up, you might say. The ironic thing is I actually used to think a leather pad on a gun looked nice. Who knows? The day may come when a beautiful gun catches my heart and the pad seems to actually enhance its attraction.

Thanks for all the opinions and reasonings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Iver Johnson Supertrap came this way from the factory. Pad on a trap gun makes a lot of sense and the Jostam Antiflinch is one of my favorites:

Last edited by Bushmaster; 12/26/10 12:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One more reason for a expertly installed pad is physical (medical) problems. Over the years I've had both shoulders rebuilt and have run into some recoil issues. On my upland guns really don't have any problem as they are the smaller gauges so no pads. But for a lot of my waterfowl shooting with the 12 ga. I need a pad, also on shotguns where I'm going to shoot 100 or more shells in a day. So that's the way I do it to continue my shotgun shooting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You've got no argument from me,popplecop! To keep you in the field, and with as much you shoot, I'd say the pads are a Godsend! Keep on goin'!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The day will come when all I want to shoot is a gas auto with a pad. When that day arrives, I'll be happy that I am still out hunting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.