May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Ken Nelson, 2 invisible), 267 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,707
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I had found a shotgun in a closet of my relatives they would have all been Springfield 16ga or Belgium Klunkers and in poor condition like the rest of the house.

James M #212067 01/06/11 02:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
The only things my aunts have in their closets are supplies of Depends!

Sounds like Ted's closet

Depends and Moss'bergs laugh

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the interest. Been getting quite a few phone calls. There are some fine Parker enthusiasts out there. Everybody willing to answer my lengthy questions.
Jack, I still play with the Supers; including a pre-war twin/single trigger I acquired last fall.
Italiansxs..... No presentation. Franklin Roosevelt gave this Parker to Harry Harwick on one of his many visits to the Mayo Clinic; Mr. Harwick being the adminstrator of Mayo during the time of Roosevelts many visits to try to have his polio cured.
No documentation...But, of course, none is needed. According to this very BBS, the most famous Parker in history, "The Czar Parker", has not a shred of provenance proving that Czar Nicholas ever ordered, owned, fondled, shot, or even was aware of a Parker Bros. shotgun crafted for him..... Grant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would make an interesting story for the DGJ....

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might run the serial number through the Griffin and Howe website. They have records from Von Lerke and Detmold and a couple of other early twentieth century New York "outfitters." If the gun happens to have been retailed new or used through any of them it could document a Roosevelt connection.

http://www.griffinhowe.com/research-main.cfm#make

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 01/07/11 11:43 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures would be nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The story of the Czar's Parker is well cataloged and a completely different deal from this one. Your story needs provenance, without that it's just a story and adds absolutely no value to the gun.

I've got a friend who has a single 4 gauge shotgun that all evidence points toward being originally owned by Teddy Roosevelt but he's got absolutely no hardcore provenance hence it's just a nice gun.

Another friend has a shotgun that he knows for a fact was owned by a famous gangster but there's absolutely no hard provenance hence it's just a beat up pump gun.

Your sounds like a nice one and would stand on it's own merits as to value, your story of it being a gift from Roosevelt is simply a story. Find a photo of him handing the gun over, a letter that talks about the gift, records of the guns sale to him, or something to that affect and you might have some addition to value. Till something like that turns up it's just a nice Parker shotgun that's probably got some value.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, to dovetail to what Destry is writing, FDR was not known as a hunter to my knowledge. There would be no reason for him to just up and give a guy a Parker out of the blue (apparently). I get that the recipient was the administrator of the facility, but what other reason would a non-hunting President have to give a him a shotgun? It is out of character for FDR to do this. It would be the modern day equivalent to Obama giving the administrator of Walter Reed a Colt SAA. The story adds no value whatsoever to the gun if it cant be proven by strong documentation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somewhere I saw a photo of FDR with a campaign hat and a rifle so he at least had a nodding acquaintance with firearms.I suppose if you want to do something nice for someone and you know they are interested in this or that you would not be out of character to give them a gift that appealed to that interest. I have no interest in golf but I have given golf clubs to people,because I knew they would like them as a gift.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If every old gun could talk what a story they could tell. Some stories would, of course, be more interesting than others. Unfortunately they can't and their history has been lost in the pages of time. No one thought to document the history of their gun in days gone by. For the most part all we can hope for is what is handed down by word of mouth. Getting a letter from PGCA on your Parker may shed some light on the gun. If the consignee is still in business they may also have some records.

Good luck with your search. That is the fun part.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.