May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, Researcher, Jtplumb, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, cable), 446 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
MikeV Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Again, thanks to all for the help.

I have been trying to decipher the proof marks on the gun. The is no makers name.
I have never taken photos and posted them so I'll try to describe the marks. I will try to figure how to post photos later.

The receiver has a B with crown over it and a U with crown over it. I believe
this to be German proof used on an import gun?
All my attempts at describing are not 100% accurate. Old eyes and faint marks leave something to be desired.

The side of the rifle barrel has-
0.5 GRN GPm/7?
18 gr Bl.
The bottom of the rifle barrel has a
B G
U
All with crown over them.
It also has
53 ?/M
It also has what could be a makers mark but I can't really describe it. I'll have to try to make a photo.

The shot barrel has on the side-
0.2 gr N. G. P. m/71
18gr Bl.
The bottom of the shot barrel has
BG
U
all with crowns over.
8.8 T/r (maybe on the r)

Again any info and help is appreciated.
thank you all.
mike

MikeV Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is an update. I tried some CCI .38 shotshells. As expected the aluminum case split at the mouth but there was no sign of any other problems. I ordered some .357 max. brass and expect that they will fire form ok.

In the rifle barrel I shot some .22 short, LR sub sonic and LR high speed all worked well. In fact I was surprised by the accuracy (for me) that I could get. It is very consistent.

I have not been able to find a source for the Magtech 9.1mm brass, which I think would be a close fit. Magtech sells only through dealers and all of my local dealers say that their distributors don't have any and a order would have a minimum of 500. If any of you know of anyone I could try please let me know.

I am going to post on the German and Austrian board to see if any one can help ID this gun.
Again, thanks to all. I look forward to any new info.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike;
I don't understand that 18 gr Bl on both the shot & rifle bbls. That means 18 grams lead. Now this would equal about 5/8 oz of shot which may be right for the shot bbl "BUT" a 277 grain bullet from a .22RF, I don't think so. Are you sure the rifle is not 1,8 gr Bl. This would be about a 28 grain bullet. Shorts & longs in the US are loaded with 29-30 grain bullets which is very close.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
MikeV Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller,
It is indeed 1. 8 not 18.
I also noticed a typo on my part for the shot barrel. It is 6 gr and not 18. Sorry to be so careless.
Thank you for your help.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Known as 9x40R Canne shot - 9mm WS - 9mm Walking Stick cartrige made by Kynoch.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thinking along the same lines Geno. I was wondering about the Walking Stick Gun cartridge. They were usually found in 7mm., 9mm. and 12mm. The 12mm. W.S round eventually became the more familiar .410 shotgun round and in fact some of the older ones in my collection are marked 12mm/.410. French rounds are usually marked 12mm Canne. They are real collector's items now. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Should be just the ticket for shooting mice, inside the tent. Good luck with your search.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the rocky Mountain Cartridge Company make me some brass cases for my 14 bore. They can make all sorts to order - might be worth contacting them.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes; 6Gr, that's about 2/10 oz of shot, sounds much more appropriate for a bore of this size.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of these little guns were made for collectors of specimens for taxidermy and cartridges were loaded with dust shot upwards and for shooting anything from large tropical butterflies to small birds. The original .410 cartridge was only 2" long and for a charge of 3/8th. ounce and not made as a sporting gun as such, similarly the .32 bore. Lagopus.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.