March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback), 880 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#214241 01/21/11 08:38 PM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, for our friends across the pond. What is thinking/opinions on choke tubes in the UK? I'm talking SxS's here, not O/U's.

Also, what is the opinion on putiing tubes in vintage guns?

Thanks as always!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably not too high, actually
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only cheap London bests (still in proof) that I've ever seen are those that someone has put removable chokes into.

There's a reason why nobody will buy them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good way of ruining a good gun. Having said that. If you want to pay me to ruin your gun for you ,who am I to refuse .
I have seen guns that have been done that have bulged in the choke, as there is not enough metal ther to stand up to prolonged use . If you are having the barrel rebuilt{sleeved} or the gun rebarreled the tubes can be made heavier to take the chokes . This of course can make them muzzle heavy and subsequently affect the handling.
If you have a gun with open chokes and feel you are not getting the range try a larger shot size.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It won't help the gun.

It is unnecessary.

Choke is over obsessed about. Experiment with loads and learn how your gun works at various ranges with the ammo you use.

Shoot enough with an open choked gun and you will be surprised at the effective range it has with the right ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I have a Parker VH 12ga, 30" on a #2 frame. It's been totally redone: restocked to modern dimensions, reblue and re-CC, custom engraved, etc. It also has a set of Briley thinwalls. I didn't do any of that to the gun, but the result is a very versatile sxs target gun. I can shoot skeet, trap, sporting clays, whatever.

That being said, I don't think I'd do that to a nice Brit game gun strictly for field use. A Brit fowler or pigeon gun, to make it into a versatile target gun . . . maybe so. But I'd probably look for something the British equivalent of my Parker. In other words, a pretty basic Birmingham BLNE.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, I think that the question may have been read into. I was speaking about how the British Sportsman feel about choke tubes, not having a Brit gun tubed here. I was curious to see if it is a common practice or not.

Tubing as we all know is one of those subjects that folks either love or hate. I'm aware that for some it's almost a crime and others have the take like Col Brown states.

As Dig has stated, choke can be over rated, but then again, sometimes on the prairies late in the season when the birds are wild, a open choke gun just won't cut it. Most of my guns are set up with either Skt/IC and Mod for most of the year, later I'll switch to IC/IM.

I do have a couple guns of Spanish and Italian make that are tubed, as the Col stated great versatility, but these are modern guns.

I do have a confession to make, I do have a H&H Royal, that is not in original factory condition (it has a dished stock, oddball looking to say the least!) but is in wonderful shape and is choked .000/.005. I had fleeting thoughts on tubing her, but after a trip to the pattern board to see how she'd shoot, that ended that. At 30yds, nothing could get thru those patterns. So for me this gun will make a nice early season gun for birds over points.

Thanks everyone for the great responses, keep them coming!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

When you say "dished" do you mean hollow faced, or butcherd?

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, hollow faced. The stocking is very well done BTW. Not butcherd by any means.

Thanks

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg those English guns are so perfectly balanced that nothing you do can improve on that you'll only ruin it. Try it on anything but an English gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.