Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#214314 01/22/11 12:25 PM
Barb Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This site a little different from most. Had trouble finding where I post...I would like to know the value of a Lefever Nitro Special, S# 195963. On the barrel it has LLH Double Barrel 12 guage, made in Ithca, New York. Has picture of flying duck over a swamp. I think it may have been made in 1924. It is in good condition. Any info provided would be greatly appreciated. Barb

Sidelock
Sidelock

Product of Ithaca Gun Co., Ithaca NY. Has a following among shooters. To the best of my recall, currently realizing 2-500$ at sale. Sky's the limit for a collector gun (lots of original finish and condition) but even that sky has a ceiling below 1K$. You might also wish to check THE BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES; find it at most gun stores, big box book stores. Probably the major interest here is that your barrelset has LLH stamped and legible. Stamp of Belgium concern providing "tubes" (rough barrel blanks) to U.S. manufacturers.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

LLH is the mark of Laurent Lochet-Habran. You can find more about them here:
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/art...aurent%20gb.htm

LLH was a major supplier of barrel tubes to US makers. They supplied both damascus and fluid barrels depending on the customers needs.

Their mark, LLH can be found on Ithaca, Lefever, LC Smith and other American guns.

Other Belgian maker's trade marks can be found here:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

As Jack stated, these are considered good shootable guns.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barb: American doubles had their heyday from the late 1800s to about 1950 (speaking very generally here). One way to look at them is to divide them into two main categories. 1) The best guns from the biggest names, including Parker, Fox, Ithaca, Lefever and a few others; and 2) everything else. Your Lefever Nitro Special is in the second category, but considered to be at the top of that list, or darn near it. Many of the "big names" also built sturdy, plain, and less expensive "working guns" to expand down-market, and that's how I would describe the Nitro Special. It was built by Ithaca, using the name of a respected competitor they had acquired a few years earlier (Lefever Arms). As has been stated, it's a fine old gun that, if in good condition, most of us here would be happy to own, but it's also fairly common and not likely to bring more than a few hundred dollars if you go to sell it. Good luck. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Barb Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to all of you that responded to my question. The gun has original finish and is in good condition. It belonged to my father-in-law who passed away many years ago and left it to my husband who passed away in 2007. It was his pride and joy. Since I am more into hand guns, and not the long ones, thinking of selling those.

Since you have been most helpful on the Lefever gun, maybe some of you could give me a little information on another one that I am not sure about. Remington 22 short or long, Made in USA, Model 514...patent pending.

Also have others

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the Remington site:

Description: Bolt Action, Single Shot
Introduction Year: 1948
Year Discontinued: 1970
Total Production: Approximately: 757,624
Designer/Inventor: K. Lowe
Action Type: Bolt Action
Caliber/Gauge: .22 short, .22 long, .22 long rifle
# of Grades Offered: 14A, 514P, 514BC -- later changed to 514BR (boys rifle)

Like so many of the old 22rf guns with high production numbers, the value is not very high, $100-$200.

Pete

Barb Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank You for information....Appreciate it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.