March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info.

It's a neat catalog, but I don't know who would ever pay $185 for it.

$18.50 seems like a more reasonable price.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another (cheaper) catalog can be found at:

http://www.davidcondon.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi All:

I recently purchased a N.R,Davis 20 ga. SXS from my wife's uncle. It is a neat gun that had a great story that came with it.

The gun itself is a very trim gun that handles very well. It was off face and I sent it to Mike Orlen to open the chokes and bend the stock to fit me and put it back on face. I asked Mike about the quality of the gun and he said that I could use any modern ammo in it. With the gun, I also got a large number of 20 ga. magnum shells. I fired the gun twice with these shells an got one pheasant. I love the way that the gun handles!

This is the gun that I was asking for low pressure load recipes for as a lot of people suggested that the gun would not like modern day pressures. I guess that low pressure means about 7000 psi. I plan to use Win AA cases for reloads. Anybody have good low pressure hunting loads for this gun?

It must be a good gun because it says, "As Good as the Best" on the receiver!

Good shooting,

Franchi

Franchi #215870 02/02/11 11:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of years ago I was asked to make a firing pin for an NR Davis hammer gun. No problem says I, I will just copy the remaining one. I took out the remaining pin, and saw that it was crooked, so Thought that I would have to make two instead of one. I made the new pin, and found that it wouldn't go into the gun unless it was doglegged like the one I took out. The frame on that gun was made in two pieces, and that may be the reason for the crook in the pin. Otherwise it seemed to be a well built gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Condon catalogue makes statement of blocking the sears. Is this similar to the blocking sears of the upper Baker entries? Any other American guns have such a feature? Thanks to those who know.

Franchi #215893 02/03/11 10:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franchi

With the gun, I also got a large number of 20 ga. magnum shells. I fired the gun twice with these shells an got one pheasant. I love the way that the gun handles!

This is the gun that I was asking for low pressure load recipes for as a lot of people suggested that the gun would not like modern day pressures. I guess that low pressure means about 7000 psi. I plan to use Win AA cases for reloads. Anybody have good low pressure hunting loads for this gun?

Franchi, have you measured the chambers on that gun? If they're still original, there's a very good chance they're 2 1/2". If by "magnum" you mean 3" magnum, I don't think it's a good idea to shoot those in a gun that has--or had--2 1/2" chambers. If the chambers are still short, that's enough extra hull length that you're going to be well into the forcing cone when the mouth of the shell opens. But even if they're only the "short" magnums--2 3/4"--in either case, you're firing a heavier shot charge than that for which your Davis was designed. 1 1/8 oz in the short magnums, 1 1/4 oz in the 3". Maximum pressure standards are no higher on 3" 20's than on 2 3/4", but you'll get a lot more recoil because of the heavier shot charge, and that's not good for old guns. You may do bad things to the stock in particular. I'd stick to nothing more than an ounce, and preferably 7/8 oz.

It's very difficult to reload below 9,000 psi using 20ga AA hulls. With Federal hulls, you can get down around 8,000; hard to get much lower than that with the 20ga period. Check the Hodgdon and Alliant websites for recipes using various combinations of hulls, powder, primers, and wads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi All:

Thank you so much for the replies! I do have some comments and questions.

The only load that is "low is made with with a Federal hulls. Where will find these shells?

I have my Mec set up to throw 16.6 grains of Unique behind 7/8 oz. of shot. This has been my go to skeet load for many years. I have no idea as to what the pressure of this load is. It makes perfect loads in an AA hull. I will research it and see if it is low enough for the Davis.

I have no idea as of how to measure the size of a chamber. I can drop a 2 3/4" shell int the chamber with ease but does this mean it is a 2 3/4" chamber? Perhaps I am entering the forcing cone of a 2 1/2" chamber thinking that I do indeed have a 2 3/4" chamber. Any suggestions as of how I may check the chamber depth of a shotgun?

The shells that came with the gun are marked Remington 2 3/4" 3 11/8 6. I have been using them for pheasant hunting in my Franch 48AL with great success. I asked the uncle as to how may of those shell that he had fired in that gun and he replied about a box. At age 95, he may have forgotten about a few other boxes.

Larry: You mentioned that the gun may not have been designed for "high" pressures. What can you tell me about this? Is it due to weaker materials and/or less than a strong design? Any information that you may be able to offer will be greatly appreciated. I tried to get a definition of "low" pressure but I could not get a quantitative number. Any numbers as to what constitutes a low pressure?

Well enough for now. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.polywad.com/index.html

Just order their "Vintager" and "Doublewide" 2.5" low pressure shells and your gun will last a while longer and you will be amazed at how light a load will work on most game...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Norm, the Baker guns block the firing pins, not the sears. Both try to achieve the same result.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/03/11 12:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here're a couple of Davis guns from different periods.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.