April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 175 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steel is much less dense than lead, bismuth, Kent TM, Hevi-Shot, HD or any other type of non-toxic. You therefore need a bigger shot to carry the same energy. The shot is therefore exposed to higher drag, slows down faster and does not carry the energy needed to assure quick kills on waterfowl.
Yes, I know that many waterfowl hunters say they only shoot waterfowl inside 30 yds and steel is not a problem but unless you use a handcannon and 3&1/2" 12 or 10 gauge loads, don't care about the wounded ducks and geese that are actually hit but not downed and fly away to suffer, it just doesn't work, besides damaging those guns not made to use steel shot.
I couldn't stomach being in a blind with a steel and plastic camo'd semi-monster. BTW, how did all those geese and ducks not to mention turkey's, get killed without camo in the past?
When non-toxic was mandated my doubles got put away and a new Rem 870 Express 12 gauge ($220) was put in its place. Miserable on ducks and geese with steel. Finally went to T for geese and #1 for ducks and no pass shooting. When bismuth was introduced and then Kent TM followed, old doubles were again killing machines! Hevi-Shot even better in a modern double(Rem 332).
Expense be damned, it's a pleasure to go waterfowl hunting again!-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted maybe Lowell could loan you one of his sawed off shOtguns.

Today's steel shot kills just fine. Sure, shots beyond 40 yards with small shot are not likely to kill cleanly, but if you are shooting that far you either need to put away your duck call, hide a little better, or go to a larger shot size.

Many of the new non-toxics out there perform much better than steel (and even better than lead), but you pay for it.

IMO, limit your shots to a reasonable range, spend some time on clays, and you'll only need the new non-toxics for the vintage guns.

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty hard for anyone on this board to do, saw off barrels, but if "an old heavy duck gun" picked up cheaply at auction becomes the go-to for an active hunter as Marrakai by shortening the barrels it's not likely to be noticed---and the gun isn't retired. From the looks of the Greener, the barrels appear around 30 inches.

One of our most distinguished members told me on condition of anonymity that he always shoots cylinder/cylinder in field and range and has the trophies to show for their effectiveness. I did not ask if they were cut barrels. I wouldn't cut any of my guns but if I saw something to resurrect for useful work I'd do so.

Guns shouldn't fade away.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.